
We went to the open house for the new Helsinki, Finland temple. Before this, everyone in this area of the world had to travel to Frankfort, Germany to go to the temple. Before LDS temples are dedicated, anyone can enter. People are very respectful of the sacredness of the building. After the open house, which generally lasts several days, the temple is cleaned (after thousands of visitors walking through, despite eveyone wearing shoe covers, it needs it) then there is a dedication which is basically a meeting with a special prayer said to bless the grounds and the building and let the Lord know we want all the work done in the temple to be according to His will.
As I attended church on Sunday, I thought about the missionary who was translating. Actually, the several missionaries, male and female, serving here take turns translating for English speakers, or whoever they need to translate for if they know the language. I am so grateful for these young people, and some who are not necessarily so young, that devote 1 1/2-2 years of their life to learn a language (some quite difficult and sometimes they don't need to learn a language) and travel far from home and things that are familiar. Sometimes "Mormons" are accused of being cliquish- staying to themselves too much. I have to question, who in the world, as a general group, works harder to reach out to the world at large? I suppose critics would say,"Yeah, sure, but that's just so you can get more people converted." And for what purpose would that be? We not only don't profit ourselves in any way, those who serve do so at their own cost. Other than the quality of materials and furnishings in the temples, our buildings are generally much plainer than most churches. Most of our leaders and all of our ward positions are volunteer. So who is to profit from having more members? The fanciest clothing any of our leaders wear is a suit, white or otherwise depending on the occasion. And the LDS church gives generously through our welfare system all over the world, whether the people in need are members of the church or not. I wish the media would report more of what good the LDS church does. Anyway, I'm glad for the opportunity to attend this tiny Lithuanian speaking branch of the church. Their primary consists of 4 children. My grandchildren don't go to primary because they don't speak Lithuanian. A couple of the missionaries give of their time and efforts to teach my grandchildren. I am eternally grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment