Tuesday, January 15, 2008

14 doors

Okay, one more room done- well, mostly. I don't like the results of the ceiling now that the paint has dried. I can see I will need to do another coat. The other major item not done in this room is the doors. The wall color looks much more "pink" in these pictures than in real life. It's hard to see the woodwork but I scraped, sanded, filled holes and gouges, stained, and polyurethaned the trim around the floor, doors, and window as well as doing most of the window. Right now the window doesn't function. These windows are really huge and could use storms but we can't get them this big. We will have to custom-make storm windows for three windows in the front of the house and the two windows on the north side that are in the stairways.
Of the 14 functioning doors in this house, we have fixed 1 1/2. (The half is that I still haven't refinished the wood on the inside of the front door. If you look back into the past blogs, I have pictures of us working on repairing and refinishing that door. We only took the time to do the outside so we could re-hang it.) If we painted a door, it only takes 2 days to do. I have finished both sides of the kitchen door in the back of the house. Below you can see a picture of one of the bedroom doors.
I won't paint this door even though it's in pretty bad shape. So, like the front door, it will need to be taken off the hinges, scraped, sanded, repaired (Russ has been pretty genious at that), then stained, polyurethaned, hardware replaced, and rehung. That takes about 3-4 days per door. I hate to be a procrastinator but that's just too much time with too little progress made for me to want to do that right now. Maybe in the summer..............? Wanna help?

No comments: