Join us as we chronicle the journey that this life takes us on, and as we always strive to move forward with faith.
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Last night Russ and I went to a concert of the Air Force Band of Flight. It was wonderful! The quality of entertainment was vastly superior to the "civilian" form of in-your-face entertainment along the lines of American Idol or other money-making productions involving people who take a God-given gift and glitz it up with bright lights, immodest costumes, and loud electric amplification. I had to wonder if any of the musicians, including the wonderful singer, will ever attempt to enter the flashy world of Hollywood or Las Vegas. I imagine they might make more money- maybe. Who knows what the fickle approval of fans might support? I felt very grateful for people who take their God-given gifts and try to increase their talent aside from the pushiness of an agent or the screams of the crowd. It made me miss the talent available in Utah. I so drank up the abounding sharing of talent available there! From the Cache County Fair to the Tabernacle Choir performances, there were people who were not desperately selling themselves for gain; people who offered what they had succeeded in developing their own abilities. I realize that there was some of the "wanting to make money" attitude there. But, in general, it was secondary to just working to improve and wanting to share. I am not a great pianist and my voice is far gone from what it was 30 years ago, but I try to improve what I have now and am willing to play, even the organ, for church meetings. I enjoy the accomplishments of others. I enjoyed attending the 7th and 8th grades string orchestra concert for one of the terHorst girls on Thursday night. (The 7th grade violas were somewhat out of tune.) The kids were all sincerely making an effort to work together to produce music. It really is our motivation that counts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment