Join us as we chronicle the journey that this life takes us on, and as we always strive to move forward with faith.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Looking for suggestions
Russ and I have been doing an incredible amount of talking in the past several months. It has been attempts to feel better and understand life. As we discussed ways to deal with tragedies and hardships, we talked about the benefits and/or pitfalls of various forms of escape. Nobody enjoys pain, at least not anyone who's sane. So when life gets hard, we tend to want to escape somehow. Drugs and/or alcohol (they're actually the same thing) seem to be the most chosen form of escape. We wondered whether they really help. Back in the early 1970's, we enjoyed marijuana and wine, an occasional beer for Russ. We started realizing that getting drunk or high numbed any worries or anger or whatever, but only temporarily. We talked about how anesthesia is used as a temporary block for pain in surgery or for fever or injury. So what is wrong with temporarily escaping pain so we can face life again? Personally, I go back to what I thought 30 years ago: there are too many possibly serious disadvantages to drugs to outweigh the temporary dulled pain. Whatever your drug of choice, there are crashes (vehicular ones if you choose to drive while under the influence), hangovers, urges toward addiction as you find it more and more difficult to cope without the numbness, and, of course, the expense which in and of itself is another kind of worry added to the list. So how is it that we cope with this life without simply gritting our teeth and looking forward to death- the final end to the pain? Is there nothing here and now too be happy about? We ache for loved ones, friends and family, and the endless stream of troubles, sorrows, frustrations, and pain they are going through. We do what we can to help but we're exhausted trying to keep our finger in the dike while leaks just keep appearing elsewhere! I believe in the atonement of our Savior. I believe in a loving Heavenly Father. But I also know that this life is a time to experience opposition, make choices, and gain strength and wisdom. Unfortunately, that translates to more pain. We have been told that if we are prepared, we shall not fear. So how is it that we prepare? Can love truly conquer ALL? All the pain, frustration, and sorrows? What do you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
ok, you asked for my opinion so I guess I'll give it. Love truly does conquer all. And, as I see it, the only way for love to do that is for us to change in a fundamental way.
We frequently hear about charity being the true love of Christ - loving people the way He loves - unconditionally. As I have thought about this, I have come to the conclusion that in order to love as He does, I must first truly love Him. I must love Him enough to give up all my insecurities, my pain, my sorrow, my anguish and be willing to know and then do His will.
There is something about giving ourselves totally to Him that liberates us, gives us extreme joy in serving and helping others. I think Mother Teresa was there, I think President Hinkley was there and there are plenty of others. I still have a way to go but I do know that whenever I approach that point, I feel power and joy that sweeps away all the bad. Simply said, that pure love of Christ gives me power to conquer all. My challenge seems to be to keep that love consistently. Still working on that one.
Yes to all you said, and to the above comment. I think one of the hardest things is when we figure out that passing one really difficult test may mean we get a harder one next! All I can do is trust, and do all the things we are told will "add to the oil" we have - and that preparation will prepare us for the next, and so on. Knowing that our Father loves us, and knowing that we must learn that too - and trying to love more each day - all that helps. Even then, there are days when we "grit our teeth" and try to take one more step. C.S. Lewis said (and I'm not quoting directly) that He (Heavenly Father) rewards us for even having the desire to have faith. In the end it will be the love that He has for us and that we have for Him, and that we have developed for each other that will conquer all. But "the end" may seem awfully far away some days.
Not sure if this helps - but thanks for the stimulus to think about it.
Take care,
Sue
Post a Comment