Recently it feels like we are riding an emotional rollercoaster. We have been riding high on some really wonderful things and dipping low with bad news. I thought I left this behind once I passed the teenage years with the wide swings of hormones! We have continued to feel frustrated by some of the people here in Dayton that just seem to have a selfish, inconsiderate way of life. We just received really sad news of a family we knew well in a place we lived previously. Due mostly to drugs, illegal ones and prescription ones not taken properly, a violent death and all the agony surrounding it has occurred to a good family. It has shocked the community and all those who have lived there.
On the high side, last night we got to see a live David Copperfield performance of amazing magic here in Dayton. The tickets were more expensive than the arts we were so privileged to enjoy back in NY or in Utah, but the entertainment was exciting! And that came at the end of a weekend of uplifting, reassuring, comforting talks by our church leaders. General Conference is a wonderful opportunity to be reminded of how good it could be and will be someday for those who choose to follow Christ. Why would anyone be content to live with dishonest people who steal, rape, murder, cheat, and destroy other people's lives? I don't understand why everyone doesn't rush to live the Golden Rule so they treat others as they would want to be treated thus creating a society where you can trust everybody! Is it really so difficult to be "good"? Every mortal has a conscience. Every human being knows when they are being mean or dishonest or even just lazy and inconsiderate. Why is that the default mode of living? Why would anyone purposely choose to be that kind of person rather than exercising self-control enough to avoid hurting others- Or at least feel sorry enough to apologize after a weak moment and determine not to treat people that way anymore because they would not want to be treated that way by others? Are we to live in kindergarten forever with the self-centered grabbing and insulting reactions to others? I am truly grateful that I live in an age when I can hear, and later read, the words of good people who are encouraging me to keep striving for a more pleasant civilization. Power to the good!!!
1 comment:
I just finished reading, "To Draw Closer To God" by Henry B. Eyring. AWESOME!!! I have been having some similar thoughts, because of my mother's abusiveness towards me and wanting to be a good Christian and not retaliate. Pres. Eyring says, love them, teach them the truth, and that the truth is true, then live the truth. The hardest part is to accept that some may not want to follow our example. It brakes our hearts as it surely must brake Heavenly Father's and Jesus Christ's...... Thank you for your thoughts. It helps me put my own into perspective. :)
Post a Comment