Sunday, June 27, 2010

How much to hope for...???


Tomorrow I will be taking my father to a thoracic surgeon to investigate a new process for lung cancer. It involves injecting talc into the lining of the lung cavity. It sounds strange until you read a medical article on it. It has shown more promise than anyone ever expected. I have a long list of questions to ask the doctor and am glad the appointment is early in the day. The wait would drive me crazy! Sometimes I almost forget how sick Dad is. Then I listen to him awake most of the night coughing and see him grimace at the thought of eating anything and I am reminded.

On the other hand, my mother is very slowly making tiny baby steps of progress toward more physical independence. It's pretty frustrating to watch her. But the best thing for her is to NOT step in and help. She needs to gain strength and that only comes from using her own muscles, not someone else's.

Russ and I are frustratingly still in financial limbo. We went through the bankruptcy hearing that we so dreaded but nothing is finalized yet. We know we haven't been turned down for bankruptcy but we don't know if there will be a forced sale on our house or exactly what we will yet be responsible for. Our future has become a huge blank with a question mark in it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary and Russ,
I sure hope all has gone well with Clayton - please give him our love, and know that our prayers are with you.
Thanks, too, for your sweet email!
Love,
Sue