Thursday, July 15, 2010

I just need to get it off my chest!

Although I am a fairly rapid reader, I have been slowly reading a book while taking care of my parents. I am reading it slowly because I can only handle it emotionally in small doses. The book is entitled Labor of Love, The 1946 European Mission of Ezra Taft Benson. I cannot express enough my gratitude that I have never been directly exposed to war. I can't even stand litter or graffiti! The illogical destruction is just too much for me. I want to share, with someone, some quotes from this book.
I feel very keenly the great responsibility which is mine as we face the grave problmes which confront our people in many of the European countries.....May the Lord ever bless and comfort our Saints. My heart goes out to them. I love them dearly and would do anything within my power to relieve them....Drove to Frankfurt, Germany, today from Basel..Along the way we went through several cities in which we have branches. As we were nearing Heidelberg, we passed a large number of men, women, and children at the city dumpgrounds frantically searching through refuse and garbage being unloaded from army trucks. We learned that this scavenger process is being repeated in all parts of the country due to the destitute condition of so many of the people....The remainder of our trip into Frankdfurt took us through city after city that appeared to be sixty to eighty-five percent bombed out. The city of Darmstadt, in which we formerly had a thriving branch, is almost totally devastated. We learned later that with few exceptions our meeting halls have been completely destroyed and that between eighty and ninety percent of our members have been bombed out of their homes. Many valuable records, together with nearly every piece of branch and district furniture, have either been looted, confiscated, or destroyed through war damage...Most of the damage present resulted through dynamiting of the bridges across the river by the retreating armies.....This day will linger in my memory forever. Left for Hamburg for meeting of priesthood and officers. We held a general session with the large hall, one of the very few not bombed out, filled to capacity and people standing. Nearly 500 attended. There were the largest numbers of children I have seen at any meeting in Germany...I've never seen lovelier children anywhere over here, although they were pale and thin. Just before the closing song, I had all the children eight and under line up in the middle aisle and, as they walked past me, I gave each one some gum or candy from those you [his wife] and the children sent... There must have been fifty to seventy-five children. I had to break some of the gum and candy (Life Savers) in two to make it go around. These sweet, eager but polite little ones almost broke my heart as they looked up with their large eyes and pale faces filled with gratitude. They continued to thank me every chance they got until we drove away. Then I had all mothers with babies come up, and I distributed a bar of soap (which you sent) to each and a few safety pins, needles, and thread, and an orange which we had coaxed from the army chef in Bremen. Flora dear, you'll never know how much these few little things meant. These women hadn't seen an orange for six-and-one-half years and hadn't had a bar of toilet soap or any pins or needles for years. They couldn't hold back the "ahs" and "ahas" as they saw them and yet they were most polite. You could see they'd starved themselves to try to give more to their children in true mother spirit. How I wish I could have had baskets full of things- especially food- to give them. If I could have for each of these families the food wasted in the average American home, it would be much more than their total food supply at present.
The book is full of heartwrenching descriptions like that which evoke so many emotions- gratitude that there are good people in the world who want to help others, sorrow that there are people who continue to seek after and justify war, killing, and destruction for whatever hateful reason they drum up, gratitude that my family (for the most part) have never had to experience or witness horrors of war, sorrow that innocent people are subjected to such suffering when all they want to do is live their lives with people they love. I recently watched a documentary on the Taliban in Afghanistan and heard and saw hatred toward Americans. I want to scream at them and say, "What am I doing that is so horrible to you that you can justify not only wanting to kill me but even kill some of your own people in an effort to succeed in killing me?" Similar stories could be told of every war that has ever occurred. I know I have repeated it many times but I do truly look forward to the separation of the wheat and the tares. I want to be able to live with people who want to be kind, loving, forgiving, understanding, hardworking, generous- in short, Christlike. It makes me sad that there are people who think that is freakish. Because that means they would rather the world stay the way it is.

1 comment:

ZiggyandFamily said...

Thank you for sharing this. You have a beautiful way of saying what so many of us would say if we could. War is Hell, it has been said and from what I have learned it is. Until the Savior returns, Satan will continue to have his way, so we must continue to remind ourselves that there is a better way and be the best example we can to those who feel otherwise. May we ever strive to avoid selfishness which leads to all of these wicked things. I love you!!! What a terrific example you have ever been to me!!