I enjoyed going back to my "roots" recently but a comment by a relative has caused me to ponder. He said that probably a lot of us at the reunion will never see each other again. I know that my father's generation is getting older and traveling is difficult. Also, many of our extended family live far away from each other. As I have thought about it, I wonder if I ever will return to Dryden again. I chose not to attend my 40th high school class reunion because I have not stayed in contact with anyone so it wasn't going to be worth the expense and hassle of planning the trip. I chose to attend my family reunion because "family is, well,.... family"; somehow there is a closeness even if you don't have much communication over long periods of time. There are some really good people back in my hometown area. We didn't get to see as many as we might have wanted to. It appears that other people are just as busy with their lives as Russ and I are.
Russ hurt his back a few days ago. We don't really know how because he wasn't doing anything unusual or strenuous at the time. He has had back trouble in the past but it hasn't been a problem for many years. There are a few impending projects/occasions for which having an extremely painful back are not going to work out. He is frustrated and so am I. We can't help but wonder when it's going to get better- or if it will require some sort of major medical intervention. Russ has been incredibly healthy most of his life. Is that going to change now or in the near future? It has caused me to ponder our upcoming plans to move. We haven't had even one person come to look at the house in the week we have had it back on the market. It's looking like I will be flying to Phoenix alone- one way. Then we have no idea when we'll see each other. The bankruptcy has left our finances pretty slim- nothing extra for travel. If we sell the house, we will have the money to put our furniture in storage and have Russ move down to join me. If we don't.................I don't know. Do we get a doctor down in Arizona? When do we "disconnect" here?
I'm not going to miss living in Dayton or going to the Dayton Branch. It has never really felt like home here, although I have enjoyed the times I have spent with family and the few friends who have visited. We have not had our usual experience with making friends here despite our best efforts. It has taken us 3 years to get close enough to our neighbors for them to give us their names and phone numbers. We even invited one couple over for dinner but they have just put us off. I have no idea how long we'll live in Arizona. I already know a few people there from the time I have spent there with my parents. Mom and Dad have some very nice neighbors and it almost goes without saying, Latter Day Saints just about everywhere are pleasant people. Russ and I will be among the younger ones in the community and the church there. Right now I don't feel very young. I just feel tired and old. I guess it's due in part to just not knowing what to look forward to. I'm not stressed or worried. I just have no idea what to expect.
1 comment:
Sorry for the bankruptcy.... :( It must be frustrating not to know what is going to happen at this point in your lives. We talked about moving south after Tom retires, but after thinking it over, major changes in the twilight of our lives, we decided to stay put unless our children need us or want us to live with them. Maybe we would think about it, when we need them to help us. It will be good for your parents to have you there to help them!! How is your dad doing?
Post a Comment