Friday, May 27, 2011

Guidance?

I see many opportunities for learning in every day occurrences. I hope I'm gaining wisdom through all my observations. I was thinking about how we ask for things- from other people or God- with the hope and even expectation that we'll get them. I'm not talking about wrapped gifts or money or even major miracles. For instance, my mother has developped the idea that when she stands (which isn't very often), she wants whoever is helping her to "move her feet" for her. It doesn't work very well. I'm not sure if her feet frozen in place is due to fear or muscle inability, or maybe a combination. She is disappointed when someone else cannot make her feet move. Since I cannot actually put myself into her place, I cannot truly determine how hard she is trying. From the outside, it doesn't appear that she's trying at all. I am willing to "guide" her footsteps but I cannot take the steps for her.
I wonder how often I have asked God to "guide" me when I was really hoping he would put me in a position where I basically had only one choice so I was somewhat forced into movement. Have I taken the time, made the effort to truly "study it out in my mind" before expecting results? Am I just waiting for someone, even God, to do something when I should be making more effort on my own? Do I expect other people to do more than meet me halfway? Am I afraid, of failure, rejection, ridicule, or hurt to the point that I hesitate in doing things that I should do and maybe want to do? Am I more comfortable where I am so I just sit and wait- wait for a decision to be made for me, an incident to occur around me, so I don't have to take as much responsibility for the outcome?
Just wondering...........................

No comments: