I haven't written anything here for awhile. I fear I may be falling prey to the "abbreviated communication" disease brought on by Facebook, texting, etc. I don't text but I have been only taking the time to "share" a thought or report an activity in 1-4 sentence bursts. It would be sad if we were to lose the ability or desire to have a lengthy thought or conversation.
Last time I wrote about sponges and I alluded to people who are NOT sponges. I am grateful that, among the people I communicate with most often- basically family members, we manage to take turns needing a shoulder to cry on, a sympathetic ear, or simply a sounding board for venting frustration. When Russ and I were living in Dayton, we relied quite a bit on our older daughter to encourage us, offer a distraction, or just show us love. We ran into many "bumps" in the road of life there: problems with the remodeling, frustrations with a church community that was a bottomless pit of need, and a dishonest business partner that drove us into bankruptcy. Angela called us every day and often invited us for a meal or family activity. She and various members of her family were nearly always available to come to help when we needed it. We have tried to reciprocate but, somehow it never seems like what we give is nearly equal to what we have received. She is now living in a place she really dislikes but we are too far away to either visit her or invite her over. Phone calls, e-mails, and notes in the mail are the extent of what we can do right now.
Victoria had lots of rough moments after Ammon died. We were all pretty grief-stricken but there was no comparison to what she had to deal with. She often needed help in all forms from lots of people. I did what I could to support and help her. Now I sometimes feel that love and support back when I am feeling frustrated or discouraged. I can always talk to her and she encourages me.
It works well that it's rare for us to all be miserable at once. Sometimes in the effort to cheer someone else up, we end up discouraged ourselves. Russ and I do that. We often take turns dragging each other along through hard times. I think that's why God thought it would be a good idea to be married and have a family. We can be intimate enough to know HOW to lift someone else when they need it. Sometimes we do stumble after having helped someone else up, but then we can take our turn receiving a hand-up. It's really nice to have people in my circle of friends and family that I know will give me love and support when I need it. I'm grateful for the loving words I receive, whether over the phone, in person, over the internet, or in the mail. God always answers prayers and it's often through another person. Thank you, God, and thank you to loved ones who do what He would have you do.
1 comment:
Your words have a way of reaching deep into my heart! Thank you! My mother in law once told me that I would never be able to return to her all she did for me, but that someday I could do something for someone else instead. I have done that over my life and shared that advice to others to whom served. Pass it on. Also be willing to gratefully receive when needed. The Lord continues to bless each of us as we follow His admonition to love and live as He did!!
Post a Comment