Monday, September 24, 2012

True to our nature

I love to learn and I read whenever I can. I have often found items of interest to others and share them. Sometimes things that I thought would be life-changing, or maybe just opinion-changing have failed miserably. I know that each being is free to choose who they want to be, including how to react, what to read or watch or listen to, and how to interpret everything around them. There is a scriptural phrase I find interesting, "consume it upon your lusts". It refers to our motivation for seeking something. We can read, or watch, or listen because we sincerely seek further understanding, clarification, or greater wisdom. Or we can simply be seeking further justification for our current view or actions.  Among people who believe in a being and power greater than mortals, there is often discussion and a quest for understanding just exactly what "sin" is. A wise king once said, "I cannot tell you all the ways to sin for there are divers (many and varied) ways." We, and God, only can know if and when we are sinning. The importance is not in the particular deeds, words, or even thoughts, as much as it is in the motivation. We can go to church because we enjoy the fellowship of other believers, because we want to learn more about God to feel closer to Him and be more like Him, or we can go because we want to look good to others or because it's easier than putting up resistance to a spouse or parent. When we have attended a religious service, are we happy/relieved to have it over with, or are we glad we were able to go because we are free to attend and it is available to us? Do we seek to justify ourselves because we want to remain stiff-necked or rebellious? Or do we quietly, humbly endeavor to earnestly seek what is most beneficial to others, or even ourselves, in being more Christlike?
I have a sincere desire to enlarge my awareness, understand others, and seek truth which I firmly believe exists. I don't think anything like "red" is better than "yellow" is a truth. There are opinions, and there is truth. Truth is the way things are or have been or will be. Children sometimes try to deny the truth that a parent loves them when the parent doesn't give or allow the child what he/she wants. How to show love can be an opinion but whether someone loves or doesn't is a truth. I exist- that is truth. If someone wanted to ignore me or is unaware of my existence does not change the truth that I do truly exist. Whether God exists or not is not a matter of opinion. It is a truth that some would deny because they want to choose their own version of truth. I find myself really weary of the discord in the world due to everyone insisting on their opinion or proclaiming misleading information in the guise of "truth". We all "look through a glass darkly" without being able to see everything clearly. We all "know in part". I would be like Paul's comment, "If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or praiseworthy we seek after these things". I think truth is lovely. I seek it.

No comments: