Join us as we chronicle the journey that this life takes us on, and as we always strive to move forward with faith.
Friday, October 12, 2012
George Washington
Did you know that George Washington has no descendants? He married a widow with 2 kids but never had any children of his own. He was a humble man who always identified himself as a "farmer". I recently visited Mount Vernon and was quite surprised at the things I did NOT know about the first president of the United States. He was supportive of educating Negroes and often purchased things from his own slaves that they were able to hunt or produce themselves. He wanted to free all of his slaves and, as a provision of his will, he did so. I already knew that there were some people, having come from Europe where royalty were the rulers of nations, who wanted him to be a "king" but he declined. At one time he went 6 years without being able to go home to Mount Vernon. He was a successful military leader but not bloodthirsty or vengeful. There have been some truly admirable men who have served as President of the United States. I think a man's character is a part of how effective he is as a leader. I have heard people comment (specifically about Clinton) that what is done in one's personal life is a separate issue from how good a leader they are. I totally disagree. I have a very hard time respecting anyone, even if I respect the position or title, who is not worthy of my respect as an individual. You can't compartmentalize aspects of a person. I think each human is the sum of all his/her parts, good and bad. It is preferable that the good outweighs the bad but sometimes it doesn't. We all have faults but I respect those who are humble enough to admit their faults, sincere enough to work at overcoming them rather than rationalizing them, and courageous enough to continue working past mistakes including making a greater effort. I am more inclined to choose a political leader on the basis of character than on their promises, rhetoric, or views on issues. I fervently pray that in this years elections the citizens of the United States will look beyond their greed or self-interest and vote for candidates who will be exemplary and desire what is best for our nation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I found that so sad when I heard about Washington, he was the best of men, and would have loved children. I'm glad you shared this message, and agree with you in every way.
Mary, this is Marsha Lavin, I'm anonymous, easier to leave message. Love the family photos.
Post a Comment