I have been struggling lately to understand how to define "normal". For ages if people acted strangely enough in public, they were eventually taken, by force if necessary, to live in institutions where they were sometimes caged like animals. Over time, mental illness came to be better understood so unusual behavior was determined to require treatment rather than simply separation from society. In the very recent past, it seems that more and more people are being diagnosed with everything from schizophrenia to OCD (obsessive-comulsive disorder) to autistic spectrum to dementia spectrum to manic depressive or bipolar. Most people with these diagnoses are people you see every day and may not know it. On brief, casual observance, they appear "normal" but if you spent more time with them you may observe how they count everything or repeatedly wash their hands or have mood swings like a teenager. We're all different. That's actually pretty amazing when you consider the number of people living at any one time on the earth. We may share hair color, color preferences, talents, or intellectual abilities but no two people- not even identical twins!- are completely exactly alike. So, how many times can you wash your hands each day and still be considered "normal"? I guess it could depend on your occupation or the activities you pursue in a day. Even taking that into consideration, I have seen laborers eat their lunch with much dirtier hands than I would want to have when handling my food. So does that make me OCD? I see children acting up in public places and, now that I have very personal experience with autism, I wonder if they are autistic or just spoiled or rebellious. Mental health professionals have issued basic guidelines to help determine if you are clinically depressed or just sad. Even basic guidelines really can't give you totally accurate definitive diagnoses. When you have a teenager that shows rebellion, how can you know if they are going to get a gun and enter a school or theater and kill a lot of people? If someone seems to have a negative personality (anger at self or others, constant criticism of self or others,etc.) how do you know when they need professional counseling or even some form of chemical medication to alter their thinking patterns? When is it just their personality? If a person speeds in their car, the police stop them and they get a ticket to pay a fine for breaking a civil law. If a person rants and raves at people, how bad does it have to get before they are breaking some kind of law so there needs to be intervention and possible "punishment"? When are we correcting others and when are we abusing others? What standards apply when we are all different? Some people are more tolerant and understanding toward other people so their standards as to what is normal or okay would be different from someone who demands that everyone live by their standards.
On a deeper, or higher, level- what are we accountable for? The scriptures are guidelines to live by in order to comply with God's laws. God is perfect and cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance. Yet He loves us so He provided a Savior to balance judgement by atoning for the things we repent of but can't possibly pay full retribution for. If you are schizophrenic and you kill someone, I don't think God will judge you the way other "normal" people would be judged. We are to follow God's commandments if we want to be with Him eternally. I get that. How can a perfect society work if the members are not perfect, or at least striving to be so? When we are done with these imperfect tabernacles of clay, we will be resurrected with perfect bodies. Not a hair of our heads will be lost. If you are blind in mortality, you will see. If you are crippled, you will be whole. If you are crazy, you will be able to think clearly. So, as a mortal, if you are depressed and can't seem to get out of it enough to serve others, how much "sin of omission" are you accountable for? If you have sexual inclinations outside a marriage between a man and a woman married to each other, when are you considered "sinful" in the eyes of the Lord? (In that case, I personally feel it has to do with performing sex acts not just holding hands or even hugging or kissing someone with whom you are not married- but I know there are lots of people who don't agree with me. For them, God would not condemn people who had same-sex attraction or indulged in sex without formality of marriage when the involved parties "really love" each other and are "faithful" to each other.) It seems that more and more people are being judged as somehow not in the mainstream- even to the point that many think the mainstream should be enlarged to include behaviors formerly outside the spectrum. In the scriptures it warns of one of the aspects of the last days being "calling evil good and good evil". We know that Satan is really wanting us to fail at being able to return to Heavenly Father's kingdom. Satan is hoping that he will be successful in gaining a larger army of followers so things will go the way he wants rather than the way God wants. He uses deception very well to lead away those who might otherwise be repulsed by his principles. (In the scriptures it's called a flaxen thread to carefully lead us down to hell.)
I guess the best answer I can come up with is personal revelation and making sure we don't judge others. We may not be able to know in this lifetime if someone we know is off-balance mentally enough to not be fully accountable for their behavior. God knows. He will be able to look them in the eye and they will know that they COULD have behaved differently. They just didn't want to make the effort. It won't matter what other people think. I won't be anybody else's judge and, boy!, am I glad of that! As for how to behave ourselves, we can communicate directly with God. After all, He did promise that all we have to do is seek and we shall find or knock and the door will be opened to us. There are as many interpretations of religious belief as there are people, with some large areas of overlap. But we can each, as individuals, know what is sin (omission or commission) by asking God. A good friend once defined sin as anything that interferes with the eternal progress of ourselves or others. If you are doing, or neglecting, something that interferes with your development of God-like qualities, you are sinning. You can know that for yourself but not always for others because you don't know what others are capable of accomplishing or avoiding.
I'm continuing to learn. I want to be as loving, compassionate, merciful, patient, and kind as Jesus. I've got a long way to go but at least I'm on the right path. I'll get there eventually. I have eternity to work on it!
1 comment:
As you say, God knows the heart and the ability of each of us and it is liberating to not be responsible to be judge and jury for others!
Post a Comment