Sunday, January 19, 2014

Day 3

I really wish we had remembered to take a close-up of my eyes, when relaxed, before the surgery . I had long ago decided that my saggy eyelids were just a genetic trait I would have to live with. I'm not into vanity and certainly would never be willing to undergo surgery (I haven't always had the best luck with surgery no matter how good the surgeon!) and spend gobs of money just to try to look better. Then I went to help a member of my church who had her eyelids "snipped" and she explained that medical insurance covers the procedure when it's considered an obstruction of vision. For years I have just kept my eyebrows raised to ensure my field of vision. I decided to ask my doctor, when I was in for other reasons, about it. She looked at me carefully and said she thought it was worth referring me to an ophthalmologist. After testing, photographs, and checking with our insurance provider, I was scheduled for surgery.
I was a little nervous, and even considered backing out a couple of times. But I prayed, felt more calm, and went ahead with it. I was knocked out very briefly, only for long enough to inject local anesthetic into my eye area. Then I was awake for the surgery. It was very strange to have my eyes fully closed then suddenly see the bright lights of the operating room without having moved my lids! After cutting out about an inch (the surgeon- a very attractive younger woman who has apparently done this a lot and is an expert- talked to me during the operation), I could watch her stitch my  lids closed again. I was also able to see her assistant dab at my lids, probably cleaning up blood.
Today is day 3 and my eyes seem to be doing fine. They are really puffy at times, especially first thing in the morning. I will be continuing to ice them for about 15 minutes of every waking hour for another day or so. You can see in the picture how colorful they are! I won't have to work hard at losing the habit of raising my eyebrows because, at the moment, when I do that it stretches the lids and is a little uncomfortable. I'm not venturing out of the house much yet because the sunlight feels intense and I don't want to have to explain to people the whole story or elicit pity. I'm just fine. I plan to put on sunglasses and walk outside, just in the backyard/golf course, briefly this afternoon.

No comments: