As I have traveled around the world and most of the states in the US, I have learned that not all Americans are perfect. In fact, not even all Americans are good. Not all Americans are American by "choice"- some by birth. However, I have read enough about the formation of this country and the documents related to it to know that the principles upon which it was founded are really good- maybe not perfect, but at least really good. Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness are about as lofty goals as humans can aspire to. An ideal, no matter how difficult to attain, is nevertheless worthy to pursue.
Early in the 1800's, a young man in NY was confused by all the Christian churches and their teachings. He read in the Bible that God would "give liberally and upbraideth not" to all who sincerely sought His wisdom. He got a unique response just as promised to his honest prayer. Within a few years, he had obeyed God and re-established a church on the earth in the pattern Jesus Christ had first set centuries before. That church has apostles, teachers, and a living prophet and has been designated by the Lord as "the only church with which [He is] well pleased", referring to the church collectively, NOT the individual members.
Being American does not make me, or any American citizen, superior to any other person on the planet. I may have great blessings due to being born here. I did not have to sacrifice anything to get to this "land of opportunity". It must be my choice to use my efforts to make the best of the opportunities available and to be grateful for what others have provided me. By the same token, being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints does not make me superior to any other of God's children. Unlike my citizenship by birth, I was not born into the LDS Church. Just as hordes of people have struggled and sacrificed to arrive in a land with great opportunities, I have spent many hours searching for who God is and what He would have me do. Just as it grieves me to know so many Americans take the blessings and opportunities available here for granted, I am greatly saddened by many Latter Day Saints who were born into the Church and have never made the effort to appreciate what they have. I can't understand people who would join foreign militia for the purpose of killing Americans. I can't understand people who claim to be ashamed of this country. I can't understand people who have been given the fulness of the gospel and are willing to throw it away because they find the world and its teachings more attractive. I understand the citizens as well as Church members are not perfect. There have been mistakes made. But that is NOT the fault of the basic government or the gospel principles.. We do NOT need a new constitution to fix problems here. We also do NOT need to keep looking for a better religion. If we sincerely want to be free, succeed in being happy, and know all that God knows, it is available to us. But we have to be willing to pay the price then make good use of what is available to us.
No comments:
Post a Comment