Somehow, when I picture the Sea of Galilee and the fish nets laid out and the people gathering, I picture sandy beaches. Not so! The shores are actually quite rocky. We had considered going for a boat ride like the one you can see in the distance in this picture but we just felt like we had done enough. The drive was long and the crowds were sometimes a bit oppressive.
The Mount of Beatitudes, supposedly where Jesus delivered the Sermon on the Mount, was nice. There has been a church built there (a little too elaborate for my taste but I know others worship differently) but the gardens around it are very peaceful. Placards with each Beatitude are scattered throughout the landscape. If it is indeed where Jesus taught, it certainly didn't look at all like it does now.Since it reached lunchtime when we were at the north shore of the Galilee, we chose a small cafe to have something to eat. It was quite lovely, the food was excellent, the weather couldn't have been better, and the company just made it perfect.
No comments:
Post a Comment