I have no idea who or how many may read this. I'm composing this particular blog because I want to organize the things I have been learning as I read the scriptures in the temple. (It's an extension to thoughts I recorded in the March 20, 2014 blog.) Jesus promised His disciples a "Second Comforter" when He left mortality. That is also known as the Holy Ghost or the Spirit as well as other names. This special messenger from God can truly educate us if we want it. The temple is a house of worship and the more time I spend there, especially combined with searching God's words, the more I get from the Spirit.
During the late 60's there was a song that started, "War- what is it good for? Absolutely NOTHIN!" That is so true. I have come to understand yet another reason why. James 4: "From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? (Lusts are not always about sex. That can refer to anything we mortals desire strongly. And members refers to our various parts, physical, emotional, and mental.) Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. Ye adulterers and adulteresses (meaning those who are not faithful to Christ), know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God." It goes on but basically the point is, the only reason people fight is they want something they don't have. God and Jesus Christ do not want us to fight. They fight evil only to destroy it before it destroys all of us. They want us to prosper and live forever. We can't do that if we "suffer ourselves through the power of the devil to be overcome." I so wish I could tell everyone in the world that there is a valid alternative to being self-centered and destroying each other. The world (which the Lord calls Babylon) tells us to seek whatever we enjoy, get whatever makes us supposedly happy. The problem is, it doesn't! Countless humans get money, fame, sex, and all that comes along with it and are miserable. Artificial "happiness" in the form of drugs or alcohol don't work either. Drug overdoses, suicide, ending up in jail, bitter divorces, gang feuds, everything up to wars are the result of humans trying to get what they want without concern for anyone beyond themselves. This is all good news to Satan. His primary goal is to get power, however he can. He wants to beat God. He wants to prove that we are not capable of being like God thereby showing that he is the supreme being with all of his minions who have chosen to follow his ways.
Often otherwise "good" people justify not following God's commandments claiming that : He is merciful and loves us anyway or we will be forgiven because Jesus died for us or if there is a God I will find out when I die and can "change my tune" then willingly follow His directions. Ummmmm- that's not a good plan. Alma 32-43: "For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors. And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many witnesses, therefore, I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed. Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God. Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world." In other words, you're not going to change when you die. If you challenge and rebel, you will continue to find reasons to do so. If you choose to be humble and teachable, you will continue to be so. This does NOT mean being weak or weak-minded. In fact, the Lord has said He doesn't want "slothful servants". He wants us to be of good courage, strong, and singly minded. On the other hand, He will not spend eternity fighting with those who question greater wisdom. He is happy to teach those who will learn. If we want our own rules, He is happy to let us go where we can live by our own rules which means NOT with Him or others who want to live in peace living a higher law.
So, my additional insight into the uselessness of war- You cannot get rid of your enemies if you are your own enemy. Death is not the end. Thinking you will find peace by killing those who don't agree with you will not work. Suicide will not work. You will continue to have enemies even after you are resurrected. Overcoming the natural man, who is the enemy of God, is the only way to "win". If you can control your own lusts: greed, laziness, gluttony, sexual lust, pride, anger, hatred, prejudice, etc.- then you can achieve eternal peace. It really does simply come down to the Savior's admonition to LOVE ONE ANOTHER.
No comments:
Post a Comment