Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Work is not an expletive

I don't know whether anyone has noticed but I haven't posted in awhile. My computer has been in the shop. I'm hoping things will go a little more smoothly now.
     I recently read an interesting quote from Mother Teresa from a letter she wrote after speaking to the UN by invitation: I am glad you were happy that all went well at the UN. I must tell you, I felt like [a] fish out of water in that crowd of businessmen and leaders. I never feel like that with crowds much greater, but closer, of our kind: the lepers, the dying, the unwanted, the helpless, the unloved, the lonely.
     Thank you for inviting me, for I have a better understanding of the rich, who day after day have to accept the role of entertaining and being entertained. Their gatherings need the presence of Jesus very much.
     I wondered, do I recognize myself as one of the rich? Do you consider yourself rich? I can readily see our plight as entertaining and being entertained, hence the gargantuan size of the music, movie, tv, and sports industry. We are easily bored even with our home media centers, stereos, MP3 players, handheld devices, computers, phones that aren't even phones but another computer, and on and on. We constantly lust after more entertainment. Facebook thrives on our egotistical desire for validation by customizing feeds that include only things we "like". The United States has more dogs and cats as pets than any other country. We have replaced children with animals that we dress up, take constant photos of, and coddle as "members of the family", whether they like it or not! I think much of the world could never afford what we spend on special food, toys, bedding, and vet bills for these poor defenseless animals we spoil.
     The average American eats 3,770 calories a day, the most of any country in the world. That doesn't even shed a light on what is spent on diabetes, heart problems, and all the associated health issues of the obese. Often, to avoid eating so much, people will spend outrageous amounts of money to eat out only to end up throwing much of it away rather than eat all that they ordered. Heaven forbid you should eat leftovers at another time! In an effort to combat this plague, we spend billions of dollars on gyms, health clubs, personal trainers, not to mention gadgets to put on our wrists to reassure us that we are actually moving our bodies, and chic wardrobes of exercise clothes to make it at least look like we're trying to be athletic. Yet, a lot of the people who spend money on all those things don't mow their own lawns, have never moved their own furniture and goods from home to home, and don't do much gardening. They certainly don't do the endless labor that people on farms do or that some people do that heat with wood or have large gardens and orchards. It's okay to sweat if you're in the proper spandex clothes and in a work-out center but heaven forbid you should get dirty and sweaty! I remember a time when one of my children bragged endlessly about how much he could lift at the gym yet he couldn't pull up a dead cornstalk. I had to do it, even though I never lifted weights in the gym. I respect those who can use their muscles to accomplish something worthwhile rather than just than vanity.
     A wise man, Spencer W. Kimball, once said, "Being human, we would expel from our lives physical pain and mental anguish and assure ourselves of continual ease and comfort, but if we were to close the doors upon sorrow and distress, we might be excluding our greatest friends and benefactors. Suffering can make saints of people as they learn patience, long-suffering, and self-mastery." I think he would have to amend that today to discount  the pain and anguish people are willing to put themselves through for the bragging rights of running times, weight-lifting, or steps taken yet avoid any real work because that's unpleasant. There are countless opportunities to help people after floods, tornadoes, fires, and other disasters. We might look up from our phones and see someone who needs help changing their tire or raking their leaves. Getting dirty really isn't so bad. We all wash and wear just fine.

No comments: