Saturday, March 25, 2017

Colors and other labels

     One of my daughters is enamored with dogs and has spent time studying about various breeds. There are characteristics that generally hold true through breeds but each individual dog will have their own personality. Chihuahas  are usually high strung, labs are family friendly, Great Danes are meek. But not every pit bull is a killer and not every poodle is cuddly.
     I recently read a book for a book club written by a black man about black culture. He grew up in what could be called a ghetto area of a US city surrounded by gangs, drugs, anger, and "black culture". He often used phrases identifying people by color, especially in referring to "those who think they are white". My emotions ranged from pity to anger as I read his work. I have a really hard time labeling people by their outward shells. I guess genetically, most dark-skinned people are descended from somewhere in Africa. So, what does an American black man have in common with a black man living in Sudan or living in New Zealand? Does the color of their skin automatically link them? At what point can the world get over things that were done in the past and move on with greater awareness? There are still slaves everywhere in the world. Not every person with dark skin can claim direct descendancy from a misused person dragged from their hut in Africa to be whipped by a New World plantation owner. Not every person with dark skin can claim not being given a job simply because of the color of their skin. I would hope that although there are some with white skin who consider themselves superior to those who simply have a different skin color, I would not be automatically identified as having that same attitude simply because I have white skin. The labels we have for our outer shells DO NOT identify who we are! There are all kinds of skin colors. Does an albino only "fit in" with other albinos? After all, there are Caucasian albinos, black albinos and probably even Indian albinos. I was fascinated by a person I saw who had green skin. I tried to research how someone could have green skin. When I first saw her, I caught a glimpse of her face and thought she had some kind of facial cream on that she had not yet washed off. Later I saw her several more times and any exposed skin was that same color. I never asked her because I didn't want to embarrass her. I know when skin is orange, it indicates an issue with diet and absorbing nutrients. None of that defines WHO those people are!
     Just because a person has chosen to be a lawyer, or a doctor, or an engineer, or an artist it does not define who they are either. You can have a tender-hearted lawyer or an abrupt doctor. You can have a teacher who is a liar and a thief. There are women who are not good cooks and men who know nothing about cars or sports.
     I feel sorry about prejudice of any kind. I really do. At some point, we need to be able to get past the resentment, call people out when they are truly unjustly prejudiced, and just go on. It's sad that some men do not respect women because they can't lift as heavy a weight. It is sad that some builders resent lawyers and think they're all "scum bags". It is sad that artists and ballet dancers are lumped by some as homosexual or incapable of practical skills. Every human being is responsible for his or her viewpoint and treatment of other individuals. I had ancestors who made beautiful baskets but I have no idea how to do that. I have children who are brilliant in science and math. I'm not. I know women who can lift really heavy things. I'm no wimp but I can't lift heavy barbells. I know men who can't fix their cars or figure out how to make a string of Christmas lights work. None of those things identify WHO a person is. We each define who we are by the choices we make in how we treat others, what goals we have, and how well we overcome weaknesses and trials. We can encourage drug addicts to get clean without disrespecting them as human beings. We can treat a wealthy or highly educated person as an equal without feeling intimidated. We can treat our family members with the same respect with which we would treat neighbors or the mayor. We may not be treated with the same respect back but THAT is not our problem or our choice. WE CHOOSE who we want to be regardless of that others may choose. It's not always easy but we can overcome our gut tendency to resent or be insulted or be afraid or be awed by some outward shell label. Every human being, whether they acknowledge it or not, is a child of God. They are a child of a Heavenly Father who loves them and wants them to be the best they can be- whatever that is for EACH INDIVIDUAL. Ironically, as we strive to be the best person we can be, we will become more alike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Russ and Mary,
I sure appreciate this! It's exactly what I have often thought, and you put it so well. Hoping all is well! Take care,
Sue S