Thursday, November 30, 2017

Why covenants?

     Several times in my life I have wanted to lose weight. I was usually reluctant to tell anyone that I was trying because I figured then I would be more accountable and would just cause disappointment in them and myself when they asked how it was going and I hadn't succeeded.
     More and more often, couples are delaying marriage and choosing to simply live together. They figure they feel a commitment to each other and that's enough. On the other hand, if either or both decide it's just not working out, it's a lot easier to separate.
     Sometimes business deals are just made orally and maybe closed with a handshake. Depending on the features of the deal, that can be a fairly tenuous agreement. If there is no formal record of the deal, it's easy to back out or just "forget". Even between close friends or family members, some form of formal document makes everyone feel more secure and holds all parties more accountable.
     Many people consider themselves "religious" but choose not to align themselves with any particular formal church. They simply believe a higher power of some sort exists even if they don't really understand what that power is. Many Christians go a step further and acknowledge the reality of Jesus Christ as the Only Begotten Son of God who lived as a mortal a couple thousand years ago, was crucified, died on the cross, and was resurrected. They believe He atoned for their sins which allows them to be "saved" and eligible to live with God after death. They also believe that simply saying they believe in God and Christ and admitting Jesus is their Savior is sufficient. God doesn't seem to feel quite that informal about His relationship with us. A summary from the LDS Bible Dictionary states:
Between God and man...It is important to notice that the two parties to the agreement do not stand in the relation of independent and equal contractors. God in his good pleasure fixes the terms, which man accepts. The same word is sometimes rendered "testament". The gospel is so arranged that principles and ordinances are received by covenant placing the recipient under strong obligation and responsibility to honor the commitment. Thus the severe consequences to Ananias and Sapphira, who deliberately broke their covenant and lied unto God. (Acts 5:1-11)
     I have been thinking about the purpose, variety, and significance of covenants made between man and God. I plan to explore each covenant we have the opportunity to make and what they mean to us as we live out our mortal lives.

No comments: