I just finished reading a book about one of the "founders" of the United States of America, John Adams. The author, David McCullough, did a tremendous job researching, compiling lots of letters and other documents then writing an interesting, smooth flowing narrative of Adams' life. I got a real feel for the struggle it was to establish this country for the opportunity of freedom, especially of religion. There were as many differing opinions as there were people as to the best way to deal with England's dominance and establishing a new country with laws that would serve so many different people way into the future. Those who participated in the inception of the federal government sacrificed so much. They often spent years apart from loved ones in places they would rather not have been. They often were not recognized or appreciated for their efforts. I finished the book with a great appreciation for the efforts of those like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, etc and a renewed feeling of gratitude for having been born in a time and place to reap the benefits provided by the efforts and sacrifices of so many before me.
Then, today, Russ and I went to Indianapolis to the Eiteljorg Museum containing history, art, and information about American Indians and the West. As I learned more about how the natives of this country were pushed out of their homes by Europeans desperate for a "new land" to establish the free country of which I have been feeling so proud, I felt incredible sorrow. They were treated so unfairly. But as I ponder it, how could it have gone any other way? Was there any way the hundreds of people who were attempting to flee the injustices dealt them in established nations could have found a place to call their own without displacing other people from the homes where they were peacefully living? It makes me think of the thousands, even millions, of current refugees. Where can anyone go?? Truly, in the words of the familiar Christmas song, "There is no peace on earth I said"!! Whether we refer to a religious group, a gender group, a political group, an ethnic group- we humans tend to separate ourselves into "us" and "them" resulting in disconnections, hatred, anger, resentment, prejudice, war, genocide. What can we do??!!
At the risk of being too repetitious, Christ and His Gospel are the ONLY way to have peace. As long as people treat other people poorly, we cannot have peace. The only alternative is to live as Christ has shown and commanded. I am grateful to be a natural born citizen of the United States of America. I am grateful to those who suffered so that I can be free and comfortable. I can never repay them. I am even more grateful for my Savior, for His example and atonement. Continuous attempts to "find a solution"- a treaty, a system of government, budget balancing, retribution- will NEVER succeed because people NEVER change. Every generation thinks they have a new idea which is never anything new. Every generation thinks they just have to work harder, fight more victoriously, be bigger and tougher and more clever so things will work out to their advantage. I wish I could explain to every human being that the Gospel- the "good news"- is the answer, the only answer.
No comments:
Post a Comment