I have been experiencing a strange increase in bad dreams recently. I rarely remember my dreams but there have been instances lately where I vividly remember my dreams because I wake up suddenly. One time I hit Russ in the face by swinging my arm over on him. One time I woke up screaming. The worst was recently falling out of bed! The first time, in my dream I was trying to get someone out from under a bed I was on, by sweeping my arm around under it. The second time I was running like crazy being chased by someone on a motorcycle wearing a dark, full-face helmet. The recent time I was being circled by a large, fierce wolf and I was swinging my arm at him trying to scare him away. This may not seem like anything to most people. But, to me, it's an indication of a very unsettled feeling in my mind and soul. None of those scenarios were related to anything I had read or seen on tv or movies. Although I know I can't do anything about it and don't consciously talk about it, I know there are so many unpleasant things going on in the world and I don't like it. I'm sorry for the horrible fires, rioting, flooding, frustration, anger, earthquakes, etc. etc. I like Readers Digest because generally it has informative articles in a wide range of topics and stories where tense, worrisome events occurred but are now over so I don't have to be anxious about how it's going to turn out. I just read an article of frank admissions by a con artist. As a public service, he explains how con men work to cheat people out of their life savings. He describes how ruthless and cold-hearted this kind of person is. About a year ago, I nearly emptied out what we have in the bank to such a dishonest person. Fortunately, it was worked out thanks to the help of people who know more than I do about technology, but only after many hours of panic and stomach churning! Through all this I am reminded of what the Lord has warned us:
In the generation in which the times of the Gentiles shall be fulfilled, there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations with perplexity, like the sea and waves roaring. The earth also shall be troubled, and the waters of the great deep; Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth; for the powers of heaven shall be shaken. (Luke 21)
(When the times of the Gentiles is fulfilled) And in that day shall be heard of wars and rumors of wars, and the whole earth shall be in commotion, and men's hearts shall fail them, and they shall say that Christ delayeth his coming until the end of the earth. And the love of men shall wax cold, and iniquity shall abound. (D&C 45)
I have no problem with the Lord's admonitions to seek Him. Why would anyone NOT want to seek someone who is more powerful and wise than any human being who might be able to fix all this? Why would anyone NOT want to seek all He has to offer rather than the fleeting treasures of Satan's offers in Babylon? It's really stressful, though, when you know there is a better way than what the world offers and you want so badly for everyone else to get it! If everyone else DID get it, the world would be so different! We know that during the Millenium, Satan will be bound simply because nobody will listen to him. That's all it would take. We just need to have everyone stop listening to him. Easy, right? Apparently not because there have been prophets and ministering angels working on humans since Adam and Eve but Cain slew his brother Abel and the iniquity has continued since then.
They seek not the Lord to establish his righteousness, but every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol, which waxeth old and shall perish in Babylon, even Babylon the great, which shall fall. (D&C 1:16)
So, in an effort to be a good steward on the earth as God expects and would be most beneficial to all of us, what do we do about global warming? What do we do about the poor, downtrodden, sick, afflicted, abused? What do we do about wars and rumors of wars? What do we do about people's really bad use of their freedom to choose for themselves? How do we change the world without forcing anyone to give up their freedom to choose for themselves?
Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness no matter what anyone else is doing. We cannot pray away iniquity. God knows He cannot force anyone to be anything other than what they choose to be. He banished Satan knowing he was being who he wanted to be and would continue forever. We need to be able to be in the world but not be of (or part of) the world.
I know I will continue to be troubled but I'm writing this in hopes that thinking it all the way through will help to calm my soul. I know the Lord knows what is happening here. I know He knows the hearts and thoughts of all men. So why am I writing this?
I tell you these things because of your prayers; wherefore treasure up wisdom in your bosoms, lest the wickedness of men reveal these things unto you by their wickedness, in a manner which shall speak in your ears with a voice louder than that which shall shake the earth; but if ye are prepared ye shall not fear. (D&C 38:30)
No comments:
Post a Comment