Sunday, January 20, 2019

How did He do it???

     I can imagine the incredible pain Jesus might have endured when He carried a heavy cross through the streets of Jerusalem. I can imagine the stripes He suffered when His back was so cruelly whipped. The pain of having a crown of thorns thrust on His head must have been horrific. Then the ultimate agony of having crude, huge nails driven through His feet, hands, and wrists would have been beyond any pain I can conceive of.
     My wonderment begins before any of that happened to Him. He was a simple Galilean, with parents and siblings, friends and neighbors. He ate, slept, studied, and grew just like other humans. He was good, though. I don't know if He ever teased His younger siblings. I don't know if He ever felt rebellious or contentious. I don't know that He ever did anything "wrong" to repent of. He "grew from grace to grace". He didn't start out as a mature adult. But He was good- better than I have been or anyone I know. Nevertheless, He was not appreciated. People didn't praise Him for His efforts or intelligence or beauty. Despite doing good, people did not profusely thank Him for being a good example. Quite the opposite- He was mocked, falsely accused, betrayed, spat upon. Some people said He was a servant of the devil or, even worse, Satan himself while He was battling that very same demon to fulfill His mission. He was tempted and hurt in every possible way.
    But it's not even that which is what really causes me awe. I don't know how He endured what He endured but, even more, I don't know how He kept going. How did He not just give up? How did He continue to forgive, love, treat kindly even when mistreated? How could He continue to suffer for those very people who did Him no favors?
     We all want, and need, to be loved and appreciated. Every human has the need for nurturing and companionship, some more than others but some are trying harder to contribute more to the world than others. I can never be grateful enough for all that Jesus did- nor any of the others called by God to fulfill a worthy mission no matter how great or insignificant. The Lord has told me to do my small part. I plan to keep trying even when it's hard. I hope to endure to the end.............

No comments: