I was born and raised in upstate NY where there is water everywhere in the form of streams, lakes, rivers, and even ponds and swamps. When we moved to Utah in 1997, it was difficult to get used to having to water everything growing that you didn't want to die. What I DIDN'T have difficulty getting used to was the people. It was heart-warming to have receptionists smile genuinely, to have waiters and waitresses not just tolerate children but be really nice to them. It was awesome having a whole neighborhood of people we hadn't even gotten to meet yet at our new house lined up to help us move in. It was satisfying seeing mothers and fathers enjoying being with their children and even seeing teenagers being pleasant to younger children. I loved being within sight of a temple with churches on nearly every corner where you could attend any service and never hear anyone criticize other religions.
I don't want to say that Utah is perfect by any means! I also don't want to say that there are no good people in other places or even that only Mormons are good people. What I DO want to say is that a predominant religion that teaches following the example of Jesus Christ has a very pleasant effect on society.
Here in Dayton, our first exposure to neighbors was people coming up to us when we were working outside our house and asking for a hand-out. We have lived here for 2 years and, despite trying to be pleasant and trying to strike up conversations with neighbors, we only know a couple of first names of people surrounding us. I am getting really weary of the reports of killings, child abuse, drunkenness, drug use, gangs, and requests for more government money in the news. I am tired of the endless litter and destruction of property all around us. I am tired of crazy, rude drivers. I get regular headaches from the obnoxiously loud, booming car stereos that shake my house and rattle my windows, LITERALLY!
I joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in 1974 and have never regretted the complete change in lifestyle. I don't know if there is anybody reading this. I don't know if there is anyone who isn't LDS (or ACTIVE LDS) reading this. If there is, I would highly recommend that if you want peace, look into the teachings of Christ. Look beyond the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes. Consider giving up the things of the world that really bring more sorrow and discord than pleasure. We all have the opportunity to choose...... to choose what kind of people we want to be and that gets extended to what kind of people we want to spend eternity with. Do you want to spend eternity working at TOLERATING those around you, or do you want to have people around that are loving because you are loving and you can just share the peace and happiness that brings? I know what I choose.
No comments:
Post a Comment