Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I can but I can't

Russ and I have been working on getting a house ready for Victoria and the kids to move into. Their landlord is very cooperative and generous. He has spent a large amount of time and money fixing up the house. We have been helping to speed up the project so there won't be painting and heavy cleaning to do once they have all moved in. We have spent 2 full days taping and spackling. I have also spent a day cleaning a stove and another day worth of time cleaning a refrigerator, bathtub, and some windows. I am glad I have the ability to do this work and do it well. However, I know for certain that despite my "expertise", I could never do this full-time or for a job. My hands just won't do it. I know that during the time we worked on this house we are living in, my hands got to the point where I had to take pain relievers and anti-inflamation medications. Russ often had to massage my hands in the mornings just so I could bend my swollen fingers. After just 2 days doing the work I do so well, my hands have reverted to hurting and swelling. I am truly grateful that I have not got the painfully debilitating diseases or injuries that many people have, causing a severe restriction of activities. But I can say I know how they feel when they are frustrated by an inability to do what they want to do. It's great that I know how to plaster and am really good at cleaning to the point that an oven looks new, even if it has't been cleaned in several years. But it's a bummer that it hurts too much to do it except when I really, really want to, enough to deal with the discomfort. I want to help people, especially loved ones, more than anything. I hope I can continue to find ways to do that.

No comments: