Friday, March 26, 2010

Prayer, repentance, confidence

I am currently in Arizona for a 3 week shift of helping my parents. My sisters and I are trying to work out a couple of days overlap so we can fill each other in on what is happening. An additional bonus is the chance to be with a sister for a couple of days. I have enjoyed being with Carol (my older sister) along with Dad and mom for the past couple of days. As we have travelled to Dad's chemotherapy appointment, walked to the grocery store, and visited Mom in the nursing home, it has been pleasant to be together as family members. But the greatest feeling of unity comes when we sit down together before a meal and all bow our heads and pray. There is something very intimate about joining together to address our Father in heaven and agreeing to the requests and gratitude expressed by whoever is acting as voice. The Lord has said, "Whenever two or more of you are gathered in my name, I will be there also." It is a wonderful feeling.
I have been thinking about and discussing forgiveness, especially forgiving self. I often find it easier to forgive someone else than to forgive what I see as my own stupidity or weakness. Why is it so hard to love onesself? I think we often expect more of ourselves than we do of others. When we are hard on ourselves, it paralyzes our ability to move forward. We question and doubt what we choose or try to do. We can't serve others. Then we feel more guilty that we're not helping anyone and begin to think they probably don't respect us or even like us and it's just a downhill spiral. If we could only see ourselves as God sees us- His children with the potential to be like Him, capable of doing WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO DO. That can be good or not. It's up to us.

No comments: