Join us as we chronicle the journey that this life takes us on, and as we always strive to move forward with faith.
Saturday, April 17, 2010
Lord, is it I?
The title of this blog comes from the book of Matthew in the Bible. Christ said to his twelve apostles, "Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me." Then, "they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?" I know full well that I am not "yet perfected". I know that I have aspects of the "natural man", who is an enemy to God, that I have not yet overcome. As I read scriptures, the only source of absolute truth for determining what qualifies a person as "good" or "evil", I constantly try to self-analyze in an attempt to search out aspects of myself I need to work on. When the Lord mentions hypocrites (praying, giving alms, fasting- all things that I do) and warns us to NOT be as the hypocrites, I try to discover my own motivations. Am I a hypocrite? When the Lord talks about people in the last days, "Therefore shall all hands be faint, and every man's heart shall melt: and they shall be afrain: pangs and sorrows shall take hold of them", I wonder if I will be afraid. The Lord has said, "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear", and lots of people use that as a reason to have money and food saved up. That's all well and good- unless, of course, we happen to be one of the ones living where the "wars and rumors of wars" or "earthquakes in diverse places" are going on. I think the preparation that will help us the most is spiritual so we won't have to succumb to emotional and mental overload. I guess all I can do is continue to pray, search my heart, seek greater understanding and wisdom, and trust that the Lord will let me know what I need to work on, at a pace I am capable of. "It is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength."So I don't have to be what everybody wants me to be. I don't have to worry so much that I may be annoying to some or less than fashionable to others. I'm following my leader and trying to emulate Him. I'll just keep trudging on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment