I have made a sincere effort to avoid being emotionally attached to material objects. "You can't take it with you" and all that. Russ and I have never been wealthy and don't expect to ever be in the future. I am about to give up the one item I have truly cherished for many years...my piano.

It was made about 100 years ago and has a "stiff" keyboard which has served to strengthen my hands over the years I have played it. It is large and heavy but it has a magnificent sound. It is an upright grand piano and can fill the house with sound. This was in our Lake Road house in Dryden, NY.

This was even earlier, in our house on Lewis Street in Dryden when our older two kids were small. It has been crucial piece of furniture in our home for nearly the 40 years we have been married. I have loved playing it and my children learned to play on it.

When we put our belongings in storage 4 years ago in Utah, a young family who had no piano was thrilled to "babysit" it for us. We couldn't get a climate-controlled storage cubicle at the time and we knew it would be ruined by extremes in temperature. We are about to put our belongings in storage once again. I will be moving to AZ to care for my parents and Russ will join me as soon as our house sells- if ever. This time our "stuff" may be in storage for quite awhile so we are paring down to the minimum. I have a niece who doesn't have a piano and has learned to play and wants to play more. I really don't want to try to sell this gem to some stranger who only wants to pay 50 or 100 dollars for such an old instrument. It has been a dear friend to me. I have pounded out "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" when I was angry, "Moonlight Sonata" when I was quietly reflective, countless hymns and religious songs when I was soul-searching, and ragtime when I was happy. I am happy to give it to someone I love. My children all have pianos in their homes already, which delights me to no end! I can only hope that JoAnne will enjoy it as much as I have. Music is so comforting and healing and uplifting.
2 comments:
Oh--what a hard thing! But, how great that it's going to a good home.
Good luck in Arizona, and with the selling of your house.
IT would be so sad to give up a beloved possession. It is more than a piece of furniture, it is all the memories. Glad you have pictures to bring them back!
Post a Comment