Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Sorry

I don't know if anybody reads blogs much any more now that there are quicky Tweets or twitters or texts or whatever. But I'm feeling a little blue and need to vent. Sorry.
I have been thinking about rebelliousness. The writers of the US Constitution were right- we do have "God-given" freedoms. Unfortunately, most of us act like some teenagers who are given the car keys. We are excited for the freedom but don't consider the responsibility. Russ and I had a really good friend who was using his God-given freedom to make choices in some not-so-responsible ways. He was a heavy smoker, doing drugs and living a homosexual lifestyle. One time he was trying to convince us of the benefits of using raw sugar versus processed sugar. It was hard to take him seriously. He is taking poison into his body in the form of nicotine and tar in his lungs, other unnecessary drugs in various forms, and having risky sex and he wants us to listen to his concerns about SUGAR??!! In Alice in Wonderland, the Cheshire cat says, "If you don't know where you want to go, it doesn't really matter which path you take." We have the freedom to take whatever path we want, but we shouldn't be surprised at where we arrive. There is a scripture in which the Lord (who is much wiser than I am) "suggests" what we should or should not take into our bodies in order to be healthy. Sometimes people chafe at such things. I remember having someone say to me, "Oh, that's right, you can't drink coke (or coffee, or tea, or wine, or alcohol)." That's not really true. I CAN do whatever I want. I just choose not to take into my body any unnecessary stimulants or sedatives. I am trying to be in control of my body rather than have my body dictate to me what it needs to be awake, or relaxed, or whatever. At least once a month I fast, going without food or drink for 24 hours. That is also my choice. I am doing it to let my body know that I am in charge. I am doing it to strengthen the part of me that will last forever- my spirit. I doesn't really matter if you have a cup of coffee or smoke a cigarette. God will not condemn you to eternity apart from Him (also known as Hell) for anything like that. However, if someone does not want to take His advice or follow His instructions, why would they expect to dwell with Him forever? It will not work to have rebels in His company. That's what the war before any of us came here to earth was all about and that's what the final war will determine- whose side you want to be on. A king/prophet once said, "I cannot tell you all the ways in which you can sin for there are diverse ways." He wasn't just being elusive or trying to use scare tactics. His point is that it isn't the picky little things we do or don't do. It isn't a matter of whether you use a serve yourself gas pump to avoid "shopping" on the Sabbath or whether you drink caffeinated or de-caffeinated Coke. It's all about your heart. Do you WANT to be obedient? Do you WANT to learn from a wise Heavenly Father? Or would you rather use your freedom to make your own choices and do things your own way?
It's easier to keep the commandments 100% than 98%, as said recently by a wise man. That way you don't have to try to figure out how to justify yourself or your choices. Just remain humble and obedient. Just make every effort you can to learn His wisdom so you won't have to go to Him with questions about every detail of life. He wants us to be like Him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so appreciated reading this blog Mary. I'm so grateful to have a wonderful first cousin like you, who believes the way I do, and thinks similarly. Its so obvious that this is Satan's world, this should be obvious to all but there is a mist that hides the truth from so many. Keep writing, I've realized that your blog link is right at the top of my main browser, so I just need to remember to click and read your most recent blogs. Merry Christmas to all of your family, and may God Bless each of you this year.. our prayers continue for your wonderful parents.. Love, Marsha

ZiggyandFamily said...

Well said!!!