Monday, November 29, 2010

Yesterday was a day of spiritual and emotional highs and lows. The lows were concerning Dad, who has been feeling especially nauseous despite taking his anti-nausea medication since Thanksgiving as well as having diarrhea, and one of my granddaughters, Ellie, who has been spiking a fever over 104 degrees since Thanksgiving despite having been given an antibiotic for what they "thought" was scarlet fever. I don't yet know how those situations will work out. Dad certainly does not need to lose any more weight. He has his belt on the tightest hole and his pants still threaten to fall down. He was pretty unsteady on his feet.
Despite not feeling well, Dad wanted to go to church. It was definitely worth going! A nearby ward sent their Primary children over (Dad's ward is nearly all grey-haired) to do their sacrament meeting presentation. Although seeing the children made me ache for my grandchildren, it was a wonderful program. I tried to analyze what it is about children that warms most people's hearts. There is something about purity and innocence that touches us. We can watch the news and worry about crime, wars, hatred, danger, sickness, poverty....a whole host of ills, but seeing a baby smile or getting a hug from a toddler can still bring us joy. As I listened to the children talk about having faith in Jesus Christ, I thought about the many people in the world who would not believe their words. They would accuse adults around them of "brain-washing" them. I suppose there is a certain amount of brain-washing that goes on all the time with children. Vegetables are better for you than candy. Work is better for you than sitting and watching tv. Doing your homework will benefit you in the long run. Hitting back will only escalate the problem.
For me, I have made it a strict requirement that I teach only what I KNOW to be true. I never want to feel the anguish of having misled anyone, especially an innocent child. I know there is a God. I have felt His influence and heard the still, small voice of His spirit. I know Jesus Christ atoned for my sins and those of anyone else who chooses to accept His gift. God can only dwell with those who WANT to be with Him- those who would choose to give up their rebellious nature, accept His guidance, and prefer His ways. I only teach what I know is true.
The kids were well-prepared. They said their lines well. Most of them chose for themselves what they wanted to say about having faith and praying and following Jesus. They sang beautifully. Their director, as well as their pianist, was a man. That's a little unusual. But you could tell what a difference it made! There was only one instance where someone sang solo and that was a boy- what a beautiful voice! They also did sign language for the main song which was "I Know That My Savior Loves Me". They were all so together and confident! Later, as Dad and I watched a tv broadcast of a Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert, I was again struck by how wonderful it is that the gospel teaches us to share and expand our talents. You can certainly see that among Latter Day Saints!
I am grateful to know who I am and why I am on this earth. I am grateful to know that I can be with people I love forever so long as that is my choice, and I hope it will be theirs, too.

1 comment:

ZiggyandFamily said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto!

Love to read your posts. They put into words my most deep feelings and convictions!!!

Love you!