Friday, June 01, 2012

Boy Scouts of America

We recently returned from a visit with our daughter, Angela, and her family. She has three sons, all of whom are active in Boy Scouts. We were privileged to attend the arrow of light ceremony for Joshua, the youngest. It wasn't super fancy but it was so wonderful to see both of his older brothers there to greet him as he "crossed over the bridge" from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts. They would probably be considered pretty average boys to most people. As their grandmother, I obviously think they're more than average. They get good grades in school, they are friendly, helpful, and all the other attributes Boy Scouts are supposed to have. These boys have good parents and two sets of good grandparents- by that I mean honest, hardworking, supportive, loving, and involved. But even with all that, the Boy Scout program helps to encourage the boys in so many good ways. No matter how good parents are, they can always use a little help. It's good for the boys to recognize that honesty is not just a relative principle. (That could actually be a pun! I meant relative in comparison to varied opinions on behavior but it could apply to the idea that there are people other than your parents and grandparents who believe in being honest!) It's good for them to work with other adults and peers who strive to live up to wholesome ideals that Boy Scouting has always promoted. Not only can they learn to be resourceful (building fires, putting up tents), physically strong (hiking, swimming, biking), and helpful (doing service projects) but they learn to be true to their word and cooperative.
When my sons were in Boy Scouts, I thought it was a good program and did what I could to support their participation, including paying for Scout camp, serving as a den leader, and attending functions,etc. Ammon wasn't particularly interested in going for his Eagle. James might have but his life was so busy- OUR family life was so busy- that it just didn't make the top priority list for him to achieve the rank of Eagle. Now I realize that the achievement of Eagle is pretty important. It is evidence of time and effort and persistence in a worthwhile accomplishment. I'm sorry I wasn't more supportive of my boys making Eagle. I don't know whether the three boys in the picture above will make it to Eagle but I hope they do. But anyway, I'm really glad they're active in Scouting even if it makes their lives a little hectic at times. Currently, all 9 of the boys I call grandsons are active in Scouts. I'm glad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this photo mom! It's a great one. I sure hope all the boys in that photo get their Eagle. We're working on it! ~ Ang