Monday, July 30, 2012

Whatever I can do....

Today was not one of Mom's better days. It is so hard watching my mother disappear, ever so slowly. I find myself wondering why a loving Heavenly Father allows human bodies to go on long after the soul who has inhabited them has, for all intents and purposes, gone. They sometimes fade in and out for several years or sometimes there is nobody there when you look in their eyes- maybe they can't even move. This can be the result of an injury or simply degeneration from a disease or old age. I wonder what purpose can be served by their continued existence. Are those of us who are still able-mind and bodied to learn something? I'm trying to learn how to avoid the condition at all costs but my rational thinking forces me to acknowledge that I may not have a choice. I'm sure those who experience such a condition never requested it. Every day when I go to visit Mom I see people who have had severe strokes or accidents or are suffering dementia. I so admire the people who work there to take care of all the broken people who need so much. I try to be friendly to all the patients and appreciative to all the employees. I wish I could do more but - what? All I can do is pray that if I ever end up like these people, there will be someone willing to change my diaper, deal with my delusions, and try to be patient with me. For now, I'll just keep praying to know if and when I can do anything to help anyone.

No comments: