Russ and I just returned from Ohio. It was a bittersweet journey. We were so happy to attend the baptism of Ammon's middle son, Kadon, and it was wonderful to be able to spend time with Victoria, Kevin, and the kids. Then we spent a few days with the terHorsts which was also wonderful. We couldn't love their family more if they were blood-relatives. Those were the sweet parts.
The bitter part was driving up to Dayton from Cincinnati. Memories of Ammon's death flooded us while in that area. Then when we got to the house we had struggled to rehabilitate and left in the most immaculate condition possible was a real downer. There weren't a lot of holes in the walls but the house was filthy. I realize that I am considered an obsessive cleaner but I'm really not! I only clean enough to maintain well. I spent two long days just trying to get the kitchen reasonably clean. I was beset with frustrated thoughts of people who excuse poor housecleaning habits with everything from, "It's just not something I like to do" to " I don't have time". For any males that would question the need to clean regularly and thoroughly, I would have to ask, "If you had a vehicle, would you avoid cleaning it except when you want to show it off to someone or sell it?" What condition would it be in if you did that? The stove in the house was obviously not cleaned regularly. I had to use a razor blade to scrape the heavy layers of grease off the burners that had built up over the last 2 years and even at that, I didn't get them totally clean. I went through 3 steel wool pads and sprayed the oven twice. When I first opened it, I saw that it had been sprayed with oven cleaner but never wiped. There was a black line of thick, hard goo around the edges of the floor at the bottom of the cove base. I'm only giving a few details to make it easier to imagine what I was dealing with. I just don't understand how anyone can live with such filth. It can't be possible to NOT see it! Is it the renter's mentality of, "It will just need to be replaced rather than my having to work at keeping it clean"?? But the woman living there was SUPPOSED to be buying the house! Is it a "union" mentality of, "It's not my job"?? How dirty does a place have to be to justify cleaning it? Once it is a certain level of filthy, it almost CAN'T be cleaned because it is simply ruined and so caked on that it's impossible to get it clean.
I realize I am ranting. I don't know if anyone will ever read this anyway so I guess I'm just getting some frustration off my chest. I'm reminded of the Lord's advice to the early Latter-Day Saints in May of 1831. They were just arriving to Ohio and He said to them, "I consecrate unto them this land for a little season, until I, the Lord, shall provide for them otherwise and command them to go hence: And the hour and the day is not given unto them, wherefore let them act upon this land as for years, and this shall turn unto them for their good." (D&C 51:16-17) I can understand some reasons why the Lord would have told them that. First of all, it's a good thing to take care of property no matter how long you're going to inhabit it. It's just being responsible. Adults should be responsible in taking care of property. Second of all, it's good to learn how to take care of property, inside and out. Some day, even people who move a lot, will live in one place for long enough for the filth to accumulate if not removed regularly. Every living creature creates filth. If we don't take responsibility to remove it, it builds up. That means it is being left for someone else to deal with. It's hard not to resent being one of the "someone elses"! I don't like to work any harder than necessary. If you don't clean a little bit on a regular basis, then you have to work hard at it eventually, OR leave it expecting someone else to do it. That goes for trimming a lawn and pulling weeds as well as cleaning the edges and corners in rooms.
I am truly proud of my children. They know how to clean and they do it. They don't leave filth for someone else to have to clean up after them. When they were young they complained like kids do but I taught them anyway and expected them to help all the while I explained to them why it just works better and is easier to keep up regular cleaning maintenance than to try to leave it for a gigantic chore on a rare occasion. Even my "adopted" son, John, cleans up after himself and knows how to clean thoroughly. It's always pleasant to go into my kids' homes because I don't have to be afraid to eat off surfaces or walk barefoot on floors or worry about where to sit to avoid getting my clothes dirty. Isn't it just nicer to live that way?????
2 comments:
Mom, I think it's a better way to live. Thanks~ Ang
You hit the nail on the head. Children grow up and if they were not taught, they don't understand and expect someone else to bail them out. It is so frustrating when that someone is us... I told someone that I will not do it again and now she is not friendly with me anymore. Oh well.
Post a Comment