Sunday, April 21, 2013

When "bad" things happen

I have watched loved ones deal with adversities of all kinds. My heart ached for them and I did whatever I could to help. Sometimes all I could do was hold them and cry with them. When things are tough we all have a tendency to cry in anguish, "Why?" or plead with God to remove the trial ASAP.
I have also watched some young women I love struggle to prepare to  run a race. They would have days when they really didn't feel like running. As they ran they would have to cheer themselves on. The result of fighting to win this battle was greater physical strength and endurance. My husband always used to say, "I hate running but I love having run." He enjoyed the confidence and pleasure gained by accomplishing something difficult.
Hebrews 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous; nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
Every time we overcome feelings of despair, discouragement, or self-doubt, we feel relief when the trial is over but, more importantly, we have the opportunity to recognize a strength we may not have believed we had. We are God's children and have the potential to be like Him. He has even admonished us to do that. Jesus said, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect." I don't know whether there is anyone alive who truly feels capable of doing that, especially when faced with challenges or trials. But once we have made it to the other side of a hardship, we can say, "I made it." We can acknowledge help from our Father in accomplishing the journey, but we still had to pick up each foot and take the steps. If we never have our strength challenged, how can we build it? If we live a pleasant, easy life centered only on the minimum effort to survive and focus on being comfortable and well-entertained, how can we ever be capable of taking on the responsibility of inheriting all our Father has, as He has promised the valiantly obedient? The only way we can know how strong we are and how much we can rely on the Lord to share the yoke is to be tested. As strange as it may seem, the more our Father loves us, the more He wants to share with us, the more we have to strain and struggle. Ultimately, being soft and pampered will NOT benefit us. Quite the opposite, it will destroy us. He has given us the opportunity to choose. We can choose captivity (enslavement to our appetites) and death, or righteousness and eternal life with God, Jesus, and all those who would be valiant in defending truth and righteousness. I pray we can all comprehend the benefits of learning and experiencing so we can grow in strength and  wisdom and, ultimately, live forever with others who would choose the same. For now, that would make THIS world a much better place to live.

No comments: