Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Recycling

For the benefit of anyone who is concerned about my problem as described in my last blog, here is the finished quilt. My concept was sort of a "rainbow" of colors ROYGBIV. I cut out hundreds, maybe even thousands of "diamond" shapes. The fact that they weren't equal on all four sides was what made it difficult. I think I have figured out what happens and how the shape of each piece impacts the outcome of the whole quilt.
 
 These are some of the piles of the pieces left over- there are really a lot- enough to do at least 2 more quilts the size of the one above, which is 75x90. It would be a bit larger once I actually add edges and make it into a quilt. I have 6 very large bins full of fabric and half a bin full of quilt tops ready to be finished when someone wants one or there is an occasion for such a gift. I'm trying to reduce the quantity of fabric without just throwing it out. There are some pieces which are many decades old and some more recently manufactured. I probably won't do any elaborate quilting. My goal is simply to piece what will hopefully be attractive coverlets for loved ones who may want additional warmth.
I have long been aware of the need to be more conscientious about resources. I started "recycling" before it was called that. There was a metal salvage place in Ithaca that took washed out cans and glass jars if you took the time to deliver them. They didn't pay anything but I wasn't looking for financial gain. I was simply doing what I could to reduce waste and the size of our landfill. I have lots of ideas of color combinations for the fabric I still haven't used: patriotic (red, white, and blue), shades of brown and tan and yellow, pastel colors, denim shades, etc. I have work enough to keep me going until I die.

No comments: