After 63 years of living, most of them searching for "answers", I have come to the conclusion that specific answers are a little different for each individual. Let me explain further- since I am seeking the greatest possible wisdom, I look primarily to God for answers: through prayer, listening for guidance from the Holy Ghost, scripture study, and the words of living prophets. There are the basic biggies, like don't murder, don't rape, don't steal, don't deny God, don't worship anyone or thing other than God..... That part is pretty obvious. But then there are the other things:
Men are that they might have joy. (2 Ne 2:25) But, on the other hand- Be willing to mourn with those that mourn. (Mosiah 18:9)
Go ye into all the world.. (Mark 16:15- as well as other places) Yet- Friendship of the world is enmity with God. (James 4:4)
Take no thought for the morrow.. (D&C 84:81, and other places) But-For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? (Luke 14:28)
Judge not and ye shall not be judged. (Luke 6:37) On the other hand- Behold I send you out to reprove the world of all their unrighteous deeds, and to teach them of a judgement which is to come. ( D&C 84:87) Then, to make it even clearer- Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgement. (John 7:24)
When thou fastest, anoint thy head, and wash thy face.. (Matt. 6:17) That's kind of telling us to look pleasant, not like we're suffering. Yet, lest we take it too far, as all too many people do in looking "nice" for church- Let all thy garments be plain, and their beauty the beauty of the work of thine own hands. (D&C 42:40) Yet, that can be taken too literally, too making people who don't make clothes feel bad for buying them. On the other hand, how plain should we be? After all- Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of god dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are. (1 Cor. 3:16,17) So, what exactly is defiling a temple? I would think graffiti would be defilement yet there sure are a lot of people that think tattoos are a beautiful form of self-expression and adornment. We decorate our temples with the very best. How plain or fancy should we decorate ourselves?
I think I have made the point. There are certainly extremes in EVERYTHING. Our challenge is to avoid the extremes, plant ourselves firmly in the area of reason without edging too close to the boundaries, and encourage others to do the same. Not everyone likes to have someone warn them when they're approaching a boundary. However, as prophesied for these latter days, there will be much of "calling good evil and evil good". Jonah didn't want to try to call Nineveh to repentance. I don't really want to try to call the world to repentance. However, it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor, so I'll just keep trying my best to seek the Lord's guidance as to what to say, how to say it, when to say it, and to whom while I'm trying to be the most Christlike I can, step by step. I am not EVER judging any person, but I do have the responsibility to judge my thoughts, deeds, and the actions I see others do so I can stay carefully within the boundaries the Lord has set.
No comments:
Post a Comment