I realize that a lot more people read what I put on Facebook than what I post here. However, I prefer baring my soul and going on longer on this blogspot. I hope that the people who are meaningful in my life will occasionally check it out to see what I have to say.
Today our stake music chairperson was released and there was a rather loud groan of unhappy surprise. It was only because many of us know her well and have been so incredibly impressed with what a great job she does.
Last night Russ presented a fireside on his experience as a member of the Mormon Tabernacle choir. He did a good job explaining specific aspects of the choir as well as telling entertaining personal experiences. An hour went by very quickly.
Not every Mormon can play the piano (or any other instrument) or sing. However, I would be willing to wager that among all the churches in the world, there are more musicians among LDS members than any other church. That's not bragging. It's just a reflection of a basic tenet of our faith that I found really meaningful. We believe we are all children of God and have the potential to be like our Father and our Savior, Jesus Christ. Jesus told a parable of the ten talents. It isn't really specifically about being musical or any other kind of "talent" as the word is commonly used. It's about using whatever gift we are given. And we are ALL given at the very least one gift. Sometimes out of fear or maybe laziness or lack of insight or faith, people choose to live simple, shallow lives seeking entertainment more than edification or education. We are eternal beings so we have a very long time to develop. However, it seems like a good idea not to waste so much of the God-given gifts of time and talent. I will never be as great a musician as Mozart or a writer like Shakespeare or a speaker like Billy Graham. I do want to be able to face my Savior on judgement day and say I did my best. I'm really grateful to be among a group of people who, for the most part, are doing the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment