Faith isn't just a belief that God and Jesus Christ exist. It also includes trusting their wisdom and goodness as well as accepting the principles they espouse and teach. What would be the point in claiming a belief in something you didn't live? For example, if you told someone you loved them but never spent time with them to talk or do things and didn't share any interests or experiences, how much value would that person place on your claims of love for them? If you don't love someone enough to devote some of yourself to them, then that love is pretty scanty. If you don't love someone enough to try to please them in even little ways, what does that say about the quality of your love?
Along that line, I heard some good definitions recently: mercy is not getting what you deserve (we all sin and fall short of deserving all the blessings we are given), grace is getting what you don't deserve (because God and His Son love us so much they give us blessings day after day, including and especially the ATONEMENT which allows us, imperfect as we are, to even dream of returning to the presence of our Eternal Father).
I just wish I could tell the world what I know. I love so many people so deeply. I don't know how God can love us so much and not just be an emotional wreck watching us treat each other so badly and constantly make mistakes that could be prevented if we would just not be so stiff-necked and mean! It hurts me just to hear people I care about speak disparagingly of others because they have misinterpreted a word or action. I remember watching my children when they were young, fighting over a toy or the chance to sit on my lap or what tv show to watch. It was hard to imagine them being all grown up and loving each other. Does our Heavenly Father ever wonder if we'll manage to progress enough to be nice to each other all the time? People talk about how sad war is and acknowledge the cost in destroyed lives and property yet they get angry at neighbors and stop speaking to family members over some tiny offense which is simply a microcosm of war. It involves fewer people and isn't usually as expensive, unless a lawsuit occurs. Will human beings ever evolve far enough to know there can be NO PEACE until we are EACH PEACEFUL??!!
No comments:
Post a Comment