Sunday, November 02, 2014

Israel or Israel??

I have been deeply impressed by my recent trip to what is known as the "Holy Land". I was excited for the opportunity to see places I have read about in the scriptures for years- to "walk where Jesus walked". I can't say whether the experience may have been different if I had gone with some kind of religious tour group. I don't think I lacked information enough about the specific sites. Susanne was very knowledgeable, she had a tour book that was informative, and there were sometimes signs or introductory videos to explain things. But I can certainly say that I had very little feeling of being on "holy" ground. Jerusalem was noisy, tense, and- although filled with religious zealots- not at all reverent or worshipful. It was crowded yet lonely, ancient yet worldly. There were pilgrims of all sorts with the deep desire to feel closer to God and/or Jesus Christ. There were residents who feel they are in the best place to be first with the Messiah when He comes (again). There were many different sects of Jews, many faiths of Christians, and different kinds of Muslims. They barely manage to co-exist and often they don't do very well. There were machine-gun toting men and women in uniform in various places, more on specific holidays than other days. Shopkeepers were generally relatively pleasant toward everyone, but they make a living best by not turning away potential customers whoever they may be.
I guess in general, Americans are considered "supportive" of Israel. I wonder exactly what that means. Certainly there is justifiable sympathy for the abuse Jews have suffered over the centuries. It seems like they have been forced out of nearly every country on the planet at one time or another! I have never read anything to indicate Jews as a group/religion have been aggressive or destructive to warrant such treatment in any country they inhabited. They have been fairly cohesive and separatist in their families and neighborhoods. (But as a Mormon, I'm aware of similar treatment for members of my chosen faith over the years and similar circling of the wagons for survival.) But is that a reason to hate them and expel them?
Since Israel was re-established as a separate political entity in 1948, they have gotten lots of flack and some support. I haven't made an exhaustive history study to understand all the treaties and battles. I have a general idea of how the area of "Palestine" was inhabited by tribal peoples, mostly nomadic, but without a centralized government. (much like native American Indians were) Jews had been dispersed and persecuted and were anxious to have a place to live their religion without persecution. (again the parallel to Mormons) Now, due to the high birth rate among Jews as well as other current residents of Israel along with the unending stream of immigrants wanting to live in the "Holy Land", it's getting pretty crowded over there. Palestinians resent being pushed out of their homes, with good reason. Since they are now under the political government of Israel and are not allowed weapons, they use what they have. Hence they make whatever weapons they can, buy whatever they can to smuggle in, or just throw rocks at their "oppressors". To protect themselves to allow citizens to live a relatively peaceful life, Israelis have built walls (physically and politically) and an army. Anxious to grab land when they can, settlements are erected as quickly as possible and squatters move in, even if it requires going against a treaty or agreement that was in place. (From what we saw in Egypt, a similar practice has resulted in many huge "illegal" apartment houses there, too, except I don't think any of them were built by Jews.)
So, I ask myself, what is to be done? Am I "in favor" of Israel? Do I support the sale of so much weaponry to a political entity that has grabbed land from "innocent" natives (Palestinians)? I guess I have to say that being in favor of the children of Israel as the chosen people of God is not the same as being in favor of the current political entity of Israel. I don't know if they are a theocracy today. I doubt they are receiving direct commandments from Elohim or Jehovah to build their armies and walls. I look forward to the day when "the sons of Aaron" again offer sacrifices to the God of Israel. I look forward to the Messiah/Jesus Christ standing on the Mount of Olives as it is split in twain. For now, I just have to shake my head and rue what a mess we have made of things on this beautiful planet our Heavenly Father made for us.

No comments: