The day after Christmas, our intrepid Victoria started the long drive from Ohio with 3 kids to join us in Louisiana. I can't express the joy I feel being surrounded by our posterity as we read scriptures together every night then say a family prayer. For daytime activities, Angela has been resourceful and creative. It has been raining quite a bit and not terribly warm but we have had some good activities. I can happily and proudly state that my family appreciates learning, not just entertainment. All of my family enjoys going to museums and science centers. Despite the wide range of ages, everyone had fun going to the science center.
Then, on a day when the weather was a little more cooperative, we were able to go to a stable owned by friends of Angela and Scott. (Being a member of the LDS Church also provides some beneficial connections through generous, pleasant people.) The kids learned a little about taking care of horses, including brushing them and cleaning up after them.
I got to ride a horse for the first time in many years, although getting on this handsome Arabian took some help. I guess I'm just not as agile as I once was.
The kids all rode,too, with and without saddles. Then they spent time playing lacrosse and swinging on a tire swing. The little boy in the front of this picture, the son of the sweet woman who was our hostess, watched me finally get on the horse, then later commented with what I'm sure was intended as a compliment. "Gee, I didn't know such an old lady could do that!" It must be the white hair......
No comments:
Post a Comment