As I walked home from the temple today, I had an overpowering feeling of gratitude for the beauty of this Earth which was created for me and my family, friends, and everybody else to have the opportunity to experience life including opposition in all things with the freedom to make choices on our own. The weather was just about perfect! The breeze was gentle and the sun was gentle but bright. The air was just the right temperature and humidity. There were birds singing and it was quiet and peaceful (except when a large grain truck barreling down the hill to the silos by the river had to put on his jake brake to avoid crashing into the back of a tour bus leisurely driving down into historic Nauvoo). I truly felt God's love in creating such pleasant surroundings.
In the temple today I had a quiet moment. We have a variety of duties as we serve in the temple and sometimes we are a bit rushed but sometimes we get to sit quietly and ponder. Late this morning I had a bit of time to myself, read some scriptures, pondered, prayed, and generally felt peaceful. When we are in the house of the Lord we sometimes feel close to heaven- we explain it as having the "veil very thin". Heaven is not light years away in the universe. It is actually very near. There is only a thin veil that prevents us from seeing heavenly loved ones or remembering living with God before coming here. Today my heart pounded as I felt the presence of my son. It was exciting and comforting. He was sent to us by his choice according to his patriarchal blessing. He was a gift, although there were times we wondered what kind of gift! We even knew his name before he was born when I didn't even know yet that he was for sure a boy.
He was a part of our mortal life for just about 28 1/2 years and has been absent now for just over 7 years. We are grateful to still have the wonderful woman he chose to marry for time and all eternity as well as his 3 children. We are also grateful for the awesome man who has chosen to love and care for his wife and children. But we miss Ammon. It will be nice to be reunited some day.
Some days it's hard to get my bearings in the everyday world- war, riots, prejudice, hatred, immorality, selfishness, greed- after being several hours in a place where everyone does their best to be just the opposite. I don't yet understand how God will work everything out. I'm really glad it won't be my responsibility to judge anybody. I'm just glad to know that God is merciful and that Jesus atoned for everyone who chooses to accept His sacrificial gift. It will be nice when we are reunited with loved ones and everyone knows.............
No comments:
Post a Comment