Monday, May 25, 2015

I did it!

 I finally managed to figure out how to get some pictures of where I spend so much time! This first picture is the lobby of the Nauvoo temple and my view when I am looking out of the office where I work 3 days a week answering the phone, adding names of people to be prayed for, taking reservations for people wanting to come to the temple, recording work done, and answering question among other things. The first week I was not able to answer many questions but I am continuing to learn so I can be more helpful but I'll never catch up with the amazing secretary who has been here many years!
 I have mentioned before that there are lots of stairs inside the temple. There are four stairwells, one in each corner of the building. This is the only spiral staircase. Isn't it beautiful? There are 2 elevators, too. Since the Nauvoo temple is patterned after a building built in the early mid 1800's, elevators are not a major feature. This spiral staircase doesn't even go all the way up to the top or all the way down into the sub-basement.
Very few people who come to the temple have the opportunity to go way up into the tower. Russ goes up there once in awhile as a part of his duties as an engineer maintaining the building. With permission from the temple president (usually easily acquired- he's a really nice guy- retired Air Force), Russ can give "tours" to members who are eligible to enter the temple. You have to be able to climb LOTS of stairs though and you want to be sure you aren't in the tower on the hour when the bell goes off!


This last photograph is nearly in the bottom of the temple. Some of my grandchildren will be in this baptismal font in a few short weeks acting as proxy for some of our ancestors. When anything is done for someone who is no longer living, we do it with the understanding that they totally have the choice of whether to honor or accept whatever ordinance has been performed. If they don't want to accept a baptism or be sealed forever to a spouse, parent, or child, they don't have to accept it.




No comments: