We have had a number of LDS "celebrities" here in Nauvoo in the past month. Today I had the wife of one of those celebrities in an ordinance I worked in. We have had church leaders, from an apostle to several other well-known and emeritus leaders. We have had authors, tour guides, historians and scholars. I was thinking about one author who also does tours and is very popular with the youth. I wondered, he is so excellent at cheering up and cheering on- who cheers him up or on? Then I thought about Elder Holland's visit and talk to all of us missionaries and his response when a young woman asked how to deal with discouragement or a feeling of being overwhelmed with responsibility. In so many words he reminded her that there are many who have a much heavier burden of responsibility, including him! He wasn't rude or unsympathetic. It was just a tiny insight into how hard it must be to have greater responsibilities over much larger issues. So I wonder, who does a prophet or apostle or other leader go to for advice or encouragement? I love going to BYU Education Week and to institute classes. Who teaches these awesome teachers? I remember as a Relief Society President talking to women about visiting teaching and having them comment that they were reluctant to go when they were assigned to someone they thought was somehow "superior" to them. Even the prophet has home teachers and the General Relief Society President has visiting teachers and I'm sure they're grateful for them!
We all need to remember that every single person on the earth eats, sleeps, breathes, gets older, gets discouraged, feels happiness, and wants to be loved. There isn't any "superior" or "inferior". Most people who have greater responsibilities have greater burdens. Maybe in the corporate world or realm of royalty there are those who can lean on underlings without feeling a great weight on themselves. But in general, everyone can use cheering on and cheering up once in awhile. I think about my children and their amazing accomplishments. My firstborn son has worked all his life to be responsible and careful and willing to work. He is where he is because he worked hard to get there. My older daughter appears to be superwoman. She can do almost anything and helps every person she can with any task no matter how difficult or unpleasant. She has always been generous to a fault. My younger daughter smiles readily and is loving and helpful to all those around her. But I know each and every one of these people benefits from friends who lend a sympathetic ear or sturdy shoulder or helpful hand. Truly good people don't need envy or adoration. They just need sincere appreciation. The gift of a compliment or giving of yourself in some way is the best you could offer.
No comments:
Post a Comment