Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Even if I'm annoying

     I am so grateful for the Holy Ghost. He has many jobs: confirm, comfort, teach, guide, warn, edify. Today I am especially grateful for his teachings. I have been feeling some self-doubt lately, for a number of reasons- nothing really big. I just have been questioning the way my enthusiastic desire to "help" or "teach" is sometimes misinterpreted by some. I have been wondering how many have found me to be obnoxious because I am perhaps too eager to serve. I have absolutely no desire to compete with others or be selfish or brag or be manipulative. But "being without guile" and trying hard to do good can sometimes be taken by others as self-righteousness or superiority. I get anxious about that because it is truly NOT my intent! So, other than sitting silently in a corner, staying out of people's way, how can I avoid that impression? Basically, that is what has been running in my mind, causing me to feel close to tears and question everything I do or say. In the midst of that depressing stream of thought, the Spirit whispered, "Satan can deceive even the very elect." Aha!
     In the 24th chapter of Matthew, Jesus mentions that false prophets in the last days will deceive even the very elect. John, in the 12th chapter of Revelations says that Satan, or the Devil, "deceiveth the whole world". I know Satan is just as real as God and Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost. He has wanted to gain our Father's power and be superior to Christ since before the Earth was created. He continues to hope that he can gain an army large enough to take over. He knows that most of God's children will not be attracted by outright evil- murder, rape, abuse, torture, destruction, and other forms of harming God's children and creations. If he can get us to call evil good and good evil, as Isaiah (Isa 5:20) and Moroni (Mor 7:14-15) warned, he can gain a larger army to fight God's standard of righteousness. The world is in mass confusion over what is right when it comes to sexual relations, abortion, use of drugs for recreation, and the meaning of family. Many of God's children are struggling with standards God has set because the world is shouting at them such different messages. One of the ways Satan deceives even the "elect" (meaning those who truly want and strive to follow God's Son) is discouragement. If we make mistakes, which we all do, he will make us feel like we can never be forgiven or never improve. As for me, even when I try to do what's right, if he can get me to doubt myself to the point that I just don't do ANYTHING, he wins. Isn't there a saying something like "The only thing Satan needs in order to win is for good men to do nothing"?? So, today I have learned that I must continue to strive to do good things, even if I am misinterpreted or misunderstood. God knows my heart. I just need to keep striving to keep my heart pure- to be humble, teachable, and obedient to correct principles. I am truly sorry if I have seemed obnoxious to anyone. But I can't give up. I just need to keep trying, even if I'm annoying.

No comments: