I remember clearly being afraid of the dark- afraid of what I could not see. As I reached adulthood, I was able to rationally talk myself out of most fear by analyzing what could possibly be around me and considering how I might react to an animal, a person, or some kind of physical danger. In the scriptures, the word "fear" is sometimes used to recommend our attitude toward God. A more precise word might be "respect" because God has no desire to injure us in any way but He would really like us to recognize His wisdom and love for us so we will be more likely to listen to what He has to say. Paul clarifies it in 1 Timothy 1:7- "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." The phrase "frozen by fear" is so true! When we are afraid, we lose the ability to act with any kind of logic. It always pulls at my heart when I try to smile at a young child and they cringe in fear because they don't know me. They have no way of knowing that I would never hurt them. To overcome that reaction takes time and persistent love. "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear; because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." (1 John 4:18) Just as a small child loses fear with loving familiarity, we can only come to love God if we spend the time to get to know Him. Isaiah transmitted this message several times: "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness............Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings." In more recent scripture, the Lord says, "Wherefore, fear not even unto death; for in this world your joy is not full, but in me your joy is full." (D&C 101:36) He even tells us how we can avoid that fear- "if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." If we do all we can to gain knowledge and understanding of who we are and who God is, and even who Satan is, we will be prepared. "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." We can only feel secure if we trust in God because no matter what our weaknesses may be, He has none. No matter what knowledge we may lack, He has it all. I want to end here with one of my very favorite scriptures from D&C 6:33-37-
Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward. Therefore, fear not little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail. Behold, I do not condemn you; go your ways and sin no more; perform with soberness the work which I have commanded you. Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not. Behold the wounds which pierced my side, and also the prints of the nails in my hands and feet; be faithful, keep my commandments, and ye shall inherit the kingdom of heaven. Amen."
No comments:
Post a Comment