The primary president in the ward here was talking about her sister who reported having 40 teachers (actually 20 couples!) in her primary in Utah. According to her, none of the people wanted to commit to being "stuck" in primary every week. I hope all those people take advantage of an opportunity to learn by faithfully attending their Sunday School and other meetings on their weeks off. In many units, like the ward here, those who serve are desperately needed and are sorely missed when not here. Often those who serve in leadership positions fill more than one position. Our daughter is the young women's president and has one counselor at the moment. That counselor is the bishop's wife and also has a stake leadership calling. I have been wondering what it will be like when we are all part of the Lord's kingdom- all mingling with other devoted servants of the Lord. I have always enjoyed working alongside others who have a desire to do whatever the work may be. It's almost exhilarating to be a part of accomplishing something worthwhile. Those who have such an "easy" time living in units that can afford to have members currently refusing to do anything the least bit uncomfortable, do they feel they are following in the Savior's footsteps? Do they recognize that from those to whom much is given, much is expected? Are they growing in their easy, comfortable place? On the other hand, those who are stretched thin and may serve thanklessly may dwindle in a desire to serve especially when it seems the need will never end and they will never get a break. They may get "burned out". I know I have felt that way. I'm glad the Savior never burned out.
I have been playing the piano for primary, happy to serve while I'm here. This morning, to say goodbye, we sang a favorite song chosen by one of the girls whose family is departing. In a ward that includes Air Force personnel, comings and goings are frequent, much as they are in university wards or any unit where people move in and out so often. The song chosen was "A Child's Prayer" and the kids sang it beautifully. There were Air Force kids and native kids and the group was small but they expressed enthusiastic love for the girl leaving. Several of the kids muttered, "Goose bumps", meaning they had felt emotional while singing due to the beauty of the music and the sadness of saying goodbye. I was very near tears as I left the room. Then I saw a large table set up outside the room, covered with bags of items the departing family could not take- everything from cleaning products to spices to candy,etc. I realized that along with the frequent sorrow the natives here must feel for the departing, strong members the Air Force and Navy bring in, they also benefit financially as well as spiritually. Without having to rely on welfare, there are often items shared that help those whose incomes are tight. Those who are "young" in the gospel are lifted, guided, and encouraged by those who come even just temporarily with firm testimonies, administrative training in the church, knowledge of the gospel, and a desire to serve.
There is so much to learn in this life. I am so grateful that the Lord blesses us by allowing opposition in all things so we can have experience and gain wisdom.
No comments:
Post a Comment