We spent time yesterday at a museum and battle sites on Guam, learning about the island's history and lots about what happened here during WWII. I have never kept it secret that I abhor war and violence. I also don't keep it a secret that I appreciate police and soldiers who endanger their lives fighting bad guys so everybody like me who doesn't want to hurt anybody can have a better chance at living safely and enjoying peace. There are and always will be bullies who endlessly seek power, glory, and wealth by abusing others. As I read about how this peaceful little island was subject first to Spanish influence (but at least they didn't seek to destroy anything) then after the Spanish American War it was part of territory ceded to the US. A year later the US actually paid Spain for it, even though it was a "spoil of war" so to speak. The Chamorros (natives of Guam) did not suffer under the US. I haven't yet figured out how much is hurting and when there is help, referring to one person or culture or society relating to another. My first visit to Guam 12 years ago, I was saddened by the litter and neon and "modern" social influence here. Without it, the island would have had only boats made out of trees, coconut litter on the ground, wild pigs and lizards. Now there is plastic litter everywhere, rusted hulks of vehicles, and noisy traffic. On the other hand, there is medical technology available as well as jobs and awareness of the rest of the world with science and technology available. Good or bad????
In the 1940's Japan invaded Guam. Then there was suffering. I'm not sure I understand why Japan was so determined to expand. Did they feel like they should take over other small Pacific islands in the same way that early Americans felt the United States should encompass everything from sea to shining sea? Was treatment of Native Americans as bad as the way the Japanese treated the Chamorros? Guam is now a US Protectorate so it has the protection of our armed services and has a representative in our legislature but without the right to vote there. There are some on the island who would like to see Guam become another state, like Hawaii. However, there are some who, like some Hawaiians, would prefer being totally independent. Would that make life better for them? Would they thrive economically? It certainly would complicate the US efforts to have a means of reacting to any threat from an Asian nation (like North Korea) if we had less presence in the Pacific.
At the end of WWII, the inhabitants of Guam celebrated their liberation from the Japanese. Apparently, they felt they would be better off with the Americans. I remember visiting Grenada years ago and asking a tour guide there how he felt about the American "invasion" of his country. He said, "Do you mean the liberation?" Everyone he knew was happy to have the Americans arrive. At the end of WWII, most countries in Europe celebrated the arrival of Americans. The United States didn't want to take over their countries. In fact, lots of money was spent by Americans to help re-build those countries after having spent money on warfare there although the aggression was not initiated by the USA. One of the horrible things I read about Guam during the war was the Japanese establishment of "comfort women"- basically forced prostitution. Women were imported from Korea and some from here in Guam were conscripted into full-time service to the Japanese soldiers. I know there have been atrocities performed by American soldiers but, really, it was never an literal program established by the American government. In addition, American soldiers are generally prosecuted when any atrocities or misuse are discovered. Is it a difference in cultural expectations of sexual gratification? Are "comfort women" a means of preventing soldiers from raping natives? Does it work? Is that a cultural difference we should accept?
Mixed in here is the ongoing conversation about sexual preferences- transgender issues, homosexuality, pornography, and pedophilia. Since our culture has so little work to do for survival, we have lots of time to spend on social media and marching in protest to stir up issues of "diversity". It sure seems like we're ripening in iniquity. We are misusing the Lord's great blessings of prosperity. We are abusing our leisure time and other luxuries. Rather than building and helping, we are squabbling and focusing on self-centeredness. "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear." I think there's a lot more personal moral preparation that needs to happen. The Lord has set bounds for our actions and there is no way we will ever be capable of enjoying a peaceful, loving society if we use our agency to rebel rather than learn wisdom.

No comments:
Post a Comment