Monday, July 10, 2017

Life goes on............

     I did some yard work a week ago and apparently was exposed to a poisonous plant- ivy, oak, or sumac- I'm not sure which. I would have thought I would have recognized poison ivy because I had a terrible time with it in Ohio. (see July 16, 2007 blog) I posted pictures then and went back through to compare my picture and record of the incident with what I'm experiencing now. I have spent a week trying every available over-the-counter type remedy with no luck. Little spots seem to keep appearing and growing beyond the initial 3 spots that I thought were bug bites (because there were tons of pesky little gnats that flew in my ears and eyes and everywhere the whole time!) just after I came back inside last Monday. I took a shower because I was hot and sweaty but it wasn't until later in the day that I began to doubt it was bug bites and by the next day I was certain it was not just bug bites. I have tried to not scratch because I know that only makes it worse. I have applied lots of different anti-itch ointments as well as soaking in an astringent but nothing has helped. Today I finally went to a doctor and got prescriptions for steroids and an ointment and she also counseled me to try Claritin. (I had taken generic Benadryl but it made my heart race.) I am washing the sheets, towels and everything in hot water and doing all the doctor suggested and am hopeful for a quick recovery.
     In researching for the poison ivy experience, I went back to a time when my son Ammon was still alive. It hurt to read about how much he worked at clearing up the property we had in Dayton and looking at pictures of him. I think of him every time I observe cooks in a restaurant because I got to watch Ammon in action when he was working at a restaurant in Utah years ago. He loved to cook and he was really a very good manager. He was able to encourage people to work harder in a pleasant but not insincere way. I look forward to being with him again. He turned into a really nice guy after he figured out who he wanted to be. I am pleased with all of my children (including the son I didn't raise but call mine) because they are all good people. I enjoy spending time with any and all of them. We haven't had a family reunion in awhile so I hope we can manage a time to all be together before too long. In the meantime, I'm grateful that Russ and I can see our children one at a time, except Ammon, of course. We'll have to wait awhile for that.

No comments: