Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Looking at the past differently

     Anyone who knows me well is aware that I have been reading a book called Man's Search for Meaning by psychiatrist and Holocaust survivor Viktor Frankl. It is one of several books that I would highly recommend for anyone to read. It is not for entertainment or recreation but for learning and gaining understanding, of oneself and others. One of the points he makes in the Postscript written in 1984 has been particularly eye-opening for me. He points out that the meaning of our life is not relegated to our future potential. He comments that our youth-worshiping culture misses a major point in each individual's search for the meaning of his/her life. In addition, he mentions that it is not great accomplishments that give us meaning but our everyday meeting of challenges and our attitude in facing them. Too often we talk about being "over the hill" meaning we are on a downward slope and there is no longer a need to strive for what could be in our future. Being older is considered a handicap, more tragic than satisfying. Frankl mentions that those things in our past are safely stored away and no longer a possibility that may or may not come to fruition. What we have done, what we have endured, what we have accomplished- these are all locked into place forever. I can consider the good things I may have done and be satisfied that I did them. I can remember pain I have suffered and, rather than regret or grieve, feel satisfied that I managed to endure. I can even think of mistakes I have made and realize that I recognized the error and chose to avoid it again rather than wallow in endless guilt now.  All of these things have contributed to my wisdom. This point of view must not be confused with a hopeless, "what's done is done and you can't change it" kind of attitude. Our past is a part of who we are- who WE have chosen to be, whether through our own creativity and determination or as a result of our personal choice of reaction to people and events not of our own choosing. We are never done until we either choose to quit or reach the end of our life. We can give up, as he mentioned observing in concentration camps. Death generally resulted from such a fatalistic attitude. Frankl points out that similar fatalistic attitudes stemming from lack of purpose/meaning in this age are exhibited in depression/suicide, aggression/violence, and addiction. There is really no cure for society's ills other than promoting a change in attitude. There is no target for the blame. As a line in the movie "Wonder Woman" points out, there is no hero we can wait for to change everyone and everything. I join millions of Christians worldwide who anxiously await the promised Second Coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ. But He will not be coming to force everyone to be good. That will only be accomplished by removing evil. All those who choose to follow Satan will be cast out leaving only those who, by their own choices, have made their best efforts at being good and are humble enough to accept chastisement and counsel to become even better.  We truly are the captains of our own ships.

No comments: