
I posted a picture of the Washington, DC temple on Facebook because it's a beautiful building. Here I want to express my appreciation for belonging to a church of volunteers. During our 18 month mission in Nauvoo I mentioned "do-gooders" which Russ and I strive to be. I personally feel that I come from a long line of such good people. I am also delighted to have had the opportunity to join a world-wide organization which not only preaches the gospel of Jesus Christ but most of the people do their best to follow Him and do what He would do. Russ and I have served in lots of positions in the church since we joined in 1974, sometimes putting in multiple hours weekly in service to run programs for adults, youth, and children. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is NOT just a Sunday church. We strive to serve as the Savior served every single day of every single week of every single year. Currently Russ and I serve as a home teacher and a visiting teacher which means we watch over a few members of our local church unit, including a monthly visit with a spiritual message as well as offers to assist in any way. In addition, Russ serves on the Boy Scout committee and I am responsible for choosing hymns sung in our Sunday meetings and am choir director. We both have also volunteered to work in the temple one day a week. There are some people in our church who get paid, including some who have major daily responsibilities in our larger temples. Temples are our most sacred buildings and all have the label "House of the Lord Holiness to the Lord" on them. Every effort is made to keep them immaculately clean and lovely. Though we have little in the way of fancy adornments, the materials used in construction are the finest available and the crucial maintenance is overseen by a paid employee who may have a small staff. The temple grounds are quite large and this small staff would not be able to maintain it all to the high standard expected for a House of the Lord.

So, another opportunity for volunteer service is offered to those who wish to help. Russ and I spent most of our morning helping to clean up the natural surrounds just outside the temple grounds. There were dozens of others there with us, all wielding rakes, shovels, pitchforks, wheelbarrows and willing hands. We were probably the oldest there today and there were families with children down to toddler age. Everyone worked in the heat and humidity to pick up large sticks and spread mulch. Such labor is a great equalizer. Children have the opportunity to feel they are making a contribution equal to what the adults are offering. We cheer each other on, help each other, and just cheerfully work side by side. It's uplifting, exhausting, and satisfying in every way. I am truly grateful to be a part of it.
Years ago, Joseph Smith was given the task of establishing Jesus's church once again on the earth, with apostles and teachers. He was given the responsibility to serve as a prophet, just as Moses or Peter or Elijah. That responsibility has continued down through the years so we are still led by a prophet and apostles. Although they speak for the Lord, we can (and are expected to) communicate with our Father in Heaven in the name of Jesus Christ to know His will in our own life. It is a privilege to know what goodness exists and what I can look forward to after this mortal life. I am hopeful that all my family will seek this knowledge for themselves and am grateful for those of my posterity who have already done it. I know where Ammon and my parents are and I look forward to whatever work the Lord would have me do when I cross the veil as they have.
No comments:
Post a Comment